Second cropping with white zucchini squash

After the crop of provider green beans should have started finishing up we planted a second crop of white zuchini squash in August in a few bare spots. We are still harvesting beans and squash now in September. There are already a couple of squash on the plants and nearly a month of growing season left. Most squash bugs are gone and cooler weather is arriving. With a little luck we will get fresh squash up to the winter freeze. If your looking to double or triple crop consider what we are doing. Wheat or rye could still be planted when they come out.

4 Likes

My tromboncino’s start off as long thin fruit. How big do your get?

Scott

1 Like

@Chills

I wish i could tell you but this is the first time i have grown these. Im going to check packages make sure i didnt mix them up.

Update:

They are grey zuchini squash not tromboncino squash so i updated the topic

Historically the grey zuchini i grew looked darker , vining and more round Summer Squash Seeds - Grey Zucchini | Vegetable Seeds in Packets & Bulk | Eden Brothers

These are lighter like the other picture.

SECOND Update: They are actually SUMMER TRIESTE WHITE SQUASH (ZUCCHINI) SEEDS NON - GMO 25 SUMMER TRIESTE WHITE SQUASH (ZUCCHINI) SEEDS NON - GMO in Florida | eBay
s-l400

3 Likes

I figured as much.

Mine start out as 12 - 16 inch long “fruitlets”, about as thick as my index finger, while still in flower.

Please share how the grey zuchini grow/taste… I’m always looking for a new variety of something to try

Scott

1 Like

@Chills

Mystery solved they are not exactly grey zucchini either but they are close.

The pale green patty-pan squash work for this too.

1 Like

Very delicious cooked with basil , olive oil, and onions. Made some green beans on the side. Will cook in a few tomatoes with some of them. They are very large and oblong but ultra tender. They are nothing like a black zuchini. Picked about 10 - 15 pounds of them today.

2 Likes

The light green, speckled ones in the 2nd picture look like the ones that are available from our local Winco grocery store. I like them much better than the dark green zucchini that seem to be available everywhere.

1 Like

The cold weather including ice on the windows has not stopped them yet.

Highly recommend you try these this year!