Seedless Yuzu

Hi everyone!
I am searching this plant from long time. Yuzu is a beautiful tree, it stands very low temperatures compared to other trees (6F, -14°C when adult) and ripes the fruits before december (so they are protected from frosts).
Unluckily they are extremely full of seeds, so the juice is not much.
But there is a very famous variety in japan, 多田錦, small but seedless!
I tried in all ways to get that variety (not rare in Japan) but the country doesn’t ship citrus internationally.
Have you any news about people who have it and are interested in sharing? For example in europe some collectors have it (i don’t know how they got it) but don’t share
Thanks all, i hope this topic can start a cooperation between all citrus lovers!

5 Likes

It sounds interesting. I’ve tried Yuzu outside unprotected in the past and lost them all about 2 winters ago here in zone 7b. I hope to try a few other citrus in my greenhouse this year and will be asking a few friends for scion wood for more edible forms of citrus and I’ll be sure to ask about seedless Yuzu also. I just found out 1 of my really good citrus friends is now in a quarantine zone and can’t ship citrus and that sucks because he has always been a great source for material and is a great guy. I hear it’s getting harder and harder to find sources for virus free citrus scions so who knows what the future will hold in store for backyard citrus growers.

3 Likes

I currently have seedless Ichang Papeda. I will try to cross with yuzu hoping to find a new variety that is close to yuzu in taste, smell, cold hardiness but seedless.

My yuzu is still pretty young. I have to wait until it flower to start my hybridizing project.

Not my experience that yuzu is very cold hardy here near Houston,TX. Had a nice 20F freeze and the satsumas didn’t flinch. The yuzu lost all it’s leaves. I don’t rate yuzu any more hardy than satsuma. Fruit is full of seeds and little juice

1 Like

Interesting. The bullock brothers permaculture farm are growing Yuzu outdoors and it is fruiting for them here in Orcas Island. They are roughly zone 8B. But they get very little summer heat.

I would be much more interested in growing Satsuma but I dont know if it will survive here in winter. (8B but also low summer heat)

Citrus fruit is killed by the minimum temperature and duration of freeze not the zone or average temperature. By average temperature you can grow a mango tree in the ground in Seattle, good luck with that… Orcas Island 8B? You are kidding. 8B is minimum average temperature of 15-20F. Some citrus can survive a few hours of 15-20F, any more than a few hours and they are frozen dead.

1 Like

I’ve got Yuzu Ichandrin on Flying Dragon from One Green World. I thinks its been in the ground 4 or 5 years, still small. It has two fruit on it. Its planted in the open and I do nothing to protect it from the cold.

I’m just Northeast of Portland Oregon, a little cooler from elevation and forest.

2 Likes

Had 15F for more than a couple hours in the last 4 or 5 years? No. Last citrus killing freeze we had here near Houston was 1989 and all unprotected citrus were killed rootstock and all at 10F. Record in Portland “9F February 05, 1989” “6F December 30, 1968”. I’d suggest you bank your yuzu with dirt if 9F is predicted or it will be frozen. If you want to grow a cold hardy citrus with fruit you can eat try satsuma which is just as hardy or hardier than yuzu. But in any case good luck with citrus growing near Portland,OR.

Lowest Portland temperatures in recent years|Min °F|Date|Min °C|
F C
|18|January 13, 2017|-8|
|24|December 16, 2016|-4|
|26|November 26, 2015 +|-3|
|17|February 06, 2014|-8|
|14|December 08, 2013|-10|
|27|March 07, 2012 +|-3|
|18|February 26, 2011|-8|
|16|November 24, 2010|-9|

2 Likes

You might try growing sudachi in liu of yuzu. I have a yuzu in a 7 gallon pot. Used to have a mature yuzu and pulled it up but IMHO the fruit was useless other than the zest. I didn’t like the yuzu marmalade I made with the fruit. Sudachi is a hybrid of yuzu with a mandarin. I have a plant and the fruit is juicy and ready when the fruit is still green which might be of use to heat starved locations like Portland. Changsha tangerine is also reported to be “cold hardy” and typically grown from seed(most citrus come true from seed.) The fruit is jam packed with seeds however and the fruit I’ve tasted was insipid.

We have an “arctic” series of citrus here in Texas. When released to the public in recent years hasn’t been found to be more hardy than satsuma which is what it is advertised to be. Sold plenty of trees to the hopeful in areas of Texas too cold for citrus to survive. Great for growers as they sell plenty of replacements for frozen trees.

2 Likes

I think 2013 or 2014 killed my first Yuzu. I love the flavor of Yuzu juice. I’d like to try Sudachi.

1 Like

I would love to get a cutting of that.

I’m interested to know if the Sudachi grew any faster for you than Yuzu? I’d love a yuzu (or sudachi), and am learning that yuzu is very slow-growing.

1 Like

My Sudachi on Flying Dragon has been very slow, but it also got set back by rabbits.

2 Likes

i would like a cutting too!! if there any still available

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like @sitien87 hasn’t been active since 2019. I’ve never heard of a seedless ichang papeda, wonder what he has.

Ichang papeda is weirdly hard to find in the US. I’m hoping Madison Citrus Nursery will eventually carry it, as they seem dead set on carrying everything, lol. But so far, they don’t, and it doesn’t look like anyone else does either.

yah i saw someone on instagram posted about Tadanishiki which is seedless yuzu i didn’t know they existed so thats why im lookin for it x) hahah but in term of yuzu i see it fourwind grower if your in california

Ah, now yuzu, that’s a different matter. It’s pretty widely available. Doesn’t look like the seedless one is though.

Yuzu and ichang papeda are related, but not the same thing. Same with both sudachi and kabosu. Similar, probably closely related, but definitely not the same.

Tada Nishiki Yuzu

What I’ve read about these seedless yuzu is that it’s flavor is much milder than the yuzu we love

Sadly I can’t just press Amazon prime button to have it delivered tomorrow

I’ve heard from a few folks that this variety is actually very cold hardy. Haven’t grown it myself. IIRC Don Shor from the Davis Garden Show also mentioned this one a while ago.