Seedling crabapple my mother grew for me

This is a very nice crabapple my mother grew on its own roots. The fruit are very small getting no bigger than a dime. She gave it to me when it was around 6 inches tall. Since my mother grew this one I keep it in the garden where I can keep a very close eye on it. I’m deciding what I will cross it with for the next generation. I’m very fortunate to have family like what I do.

24 Likes

Wowwww!

1 Like

Her and one of my sisters have smaller ones of this tree. This is a seedling from one of the two original ancient trees she had. The tree suckers around the base so we keep those pruned back to send the vigor into the top growth. She grew me this one for its beautiful flowers and to use as rootstock or for breeding purposes. It fruits excessively and we want it to do that. She knows these apples will spread on their own as they are made to do it just like callery. Sometimes people think i started growing trees but I’m really only continuing my families work. They were otchardists of wild trees or semi wild trees hundreds of years before i was born. They planted seeds of pawpaw, persimmons, apples, nectarines, peaches, walnuts, hickory, Butternut , oak and others long before me. My grandpa grew an ancient apple he called a sweet apple which was a crabapple he thought had been lost to time but then he found it and grew it again. My uncle who just passed away recently grew my grandpa’s grandma’s plums. They were a type of a wild American plum. So my family had taught my mother to grow everything the same as her siblings. Many of my family carry on the tradition of growing fruit or nuts. My uncle had a professional nursery when i was younger where another uncle worked and they grew apples. My family to my knowledge has never grown pecans with any great success.

6 Likes

It’s loaded with blossoms, nice tree!

3 Likes

Is the ancient crabapple of your mother’s the one that (was) thick with blossoms and larger fruit (you’ve shown it on here) that might be a good hard cider crab now lost Clark? Or is it that crabapple and I’m wrong about fruit size? Or another entirely different tree? It was erect-branched, too. I think it was larger if I’m seeing it?

1 Like

@Barkslip

Totally different crabapple and I have more in various locations. Noone outside my family has this one yet. My mom did a good job with this one. One of my aunts may still have some of my grand fathers apples which were ancient " sweet apples" but I’m not sure. One of my aunts passed away and my sister grows a unique clove current she grew.

2 Likes

Beautiful tree
does it get scab and powdery mildew?
Is the fruit any good?

1 Like

@Boizeau

Still trying to learn more about it but so far no diseases. The fruits are very small the size of a dime or penny.

it’s worth propagation.
Find someone good at August Budding and sell a few trees on a good rootstock for Crabapples.

1 Like

@Boizeau

Not there just yet going to need another year or two. We give away our creations as well we don’t charge for them.

2 Likes

I might ask for a budstick in August for grafting.

1 Like

@Boizeau

No I won’t give any wood out for a couple years yet. I’m not to that point where i want to share with the world with this one. It’s just a mother’s gift to her son at this point. Thank you for the compliment that you would want to grow them. Believe me the crosses will be stunning and numerous my mother has grew me an apple with 100% viable seeds! That’s very unique so all crosses can be grown! It has red foliage as well. Noone deserves a mother as good as the one I have.

2 Likes

Wi try to gather fruit this year from it!

Didnt realize i had a thread on this one Heirloom ornamental crabapples
The foliage is red so its a big deal as well! My mother has outdone herself!

1 Like

Fruit set was very heavy

2 Likes

Today is July 25th. The fruit is red fleshed as i mentioned here. This is a winner for many reasons. Seedling crabapple my mother grew for me

1 Like