Sharing - picked Kieffer, Moonglow and Warren Pears

we’re zone 7 Maryland. after 5-6 years since, i saw the most fruit and see a trend. i grow the Kieffer, Moonglow and Warren Pear trees.

1. Warren Pear tree is best. Large fruit, the tree grows round (not crazy tall), and is by far the most disease resistant of the 3. however, it produces about 1/2 to 2/3rds the volume of the Kieffer & Moonglow. Seems to ripen (full color, size) at same time as Kieffer.
  2. Kieffer is second best. Small fruit, the tree grows tall, and is somewhat disease resistant. PROLIFIC fruiter.
  3. Moonglow is third best. Large fruit, the tree grows very tall, and is least disease resistant. Seems to ripen (full color, size) after the Kieffer and Warren. PROLIFIC fruiter.
    Fruit taste? all taste like pear ;). truthfully, i just started eating them but they truly taste delicious, and like pear.

will have the two Asian girls on the horizon (planted this yr): Drippin’ Honey & Korean Giant (Olympic). stay tuned!

Kieffer, Moonglow and Warren Pears

8 Likes

Hi Peter, I would check on the identity of your 'Kieffer" pear. It’s a large, wide-waisted pear that’s disease resistant and one of the latest to ripen.

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! Moonglow ripens after Kieffer? That doesnt sound right. Moonglow typically ripens late August or Early September in zone 6 KY. Kieffer is usually about mid-October.

2 Likes

hi everyone; thanks for the corrections; this forum has true experts. thank you.

• “ripen” for me is color/size (they’re all hard as rocks);
  • we don’t spray or thin – the trees grow and we pick when they look good (color);
  • we don’t water because the soil is heavily amended (could be a factor); and
  • as you know, the label comes from the nursery (Warren from EL; sadly, i broke down and got the Kieffer & Moonglow from a big box store – about 10 of our 250+ fruiting plants come from a big box).
  • then, there’s the unknow critter factor: i’m yet to ID the critter but it’s harvesting fruit too! if the critter has a handle on ripeness, it started with the Kieffer. Moonglow ain’t been bother with (yet :/).
    i just checked the labels i photographed at time of planting. yup, that’s the run-down.
    Warren Pear tree is best of the three, and have a great day everyone.
2 Likes

“Arguably the most delicious pear variety in the world”

Clark however…
“So why do I grow Warren you might ask and it’s because i do have the room and as good as Harrow sweet is its not Warren. Warren and Harrow sweet are completely different flavors in their own way. Potomac rivals both for flavor and also ripens at around the same time with again a completely different flavor from either one.”

2 Likes

I agree with what randyks suggested. Kieffer pears are usually huge. At least they were on my tree. They were the size that if they hit you on the head you would have wished you were wearing a hard hat.

1 Like

Definitely not Kieffer! Size, disease tolerance, and ripening time are all wrong.

4 Likes