Shiranui/Dekopon aka Sumo Mandarin

I had three on my tree that I received in pretty rough shape a year ago. I kinda neglected it and then it exploded with flowers and set 1 monster fruit, 1large and 1 medium-large. Taste was fantastic for the first two: still slightly acidic but ultra sweet, sectioned perfectly, no seeds, peeled easily, smelled fantastic and juicy only if I bit into it. I’m a new user so I can only post one pic

14 Likes

I’m looking to get a live tree, or budwood. For the citrus called Sumo, or Dekopon, or Shiranui, or Citrus Reticulata. I’m in North Florida. Any leads help. Thanks.
Farmerpat

1 Like

CCPP sells budwood. Ccpp.ucr.edu

My results from their budwood was excellent.

12 seeds, you must have ate more than a hundred, lol. They are in my opinion the best citrus and i also liked orri tangerines. I just purchased a small Dekopon, couldn’t find Orri. Hopefully it will serve us well.

1 Like

Key is let hang on trees as long as it can, then shelf for a couple weeks and throw in fridge another week. Acid disappears this way.

My two variegated dekopon trees

7 Likes

hello! Where did you got thoses wonderfuls plantes?

1 Like

Hi! From Thailand on ebay. They are really great and growing well.

oh, really? how much You paid, if i can ask this question?

1 Like

A lot! But i really want it… but i don’t know why when i buy from this seller i buy one and got two… so not so expensive…

Can You send me a link, please?

1 Like

You are so lucky!

1 Like

PM sent

thank You! You lives in Portugal? I am from France

1 Like

Yes i’m a Portuguese living in central Portugal.

Can i have you nick name on facebook, i will add you?

Hi, I had tried to purchase this exact plant from the Thailand seller, but it was destroyed by CA, USA customs. Did you have to get an import permit to purchase? Did you need a phytosanitary certificate in your case? Thanks

1 Like

The scion is offered by CCPP. You can buy any Mandarin from HomeDepot and try grafting on it. Trying to get citrus plant from Asia into California would most likely end up in a hefty fine at the best and legal action at the worst. I’d say you got lucky! More info on fruitmentor YouTube channel (he also has nice demos of citrus grafting with disease free bud wood from CCPP) - https://youtu.be/OE34G80tcOM

2 Likes

Please don’t illegally bring citrus into CA. it is one of the last places without the greening disease. Or atleast substantial amount of it.

2 Likes

Hi! I’m so sorry for that. You can hask for a refund.
I’m from Portugal and i didn’t get any problems