Shiranui/Dekopon aka Sumo Mandarin

You can get it at Whole foods. Its expensive but well worth it. I think half my monthly food budget during the months of Jan/Feb goes towards Sumo Mandarin (aka Shiranui/Dekopon)

As far as Mandarins go, it is quite hardy. But impossible to grow outdoors in Seattle without protection. All citrus should be considered only hardy to 32F.

2 Likes

This variety is always top rated, plenty taste, plenty fluids, no seeds, maybe one. It is a required selection for anybody in citrus.

3 Likes

thank you so much for your replies! i will try to find it at local market i sure do love seedless juicy citrus! and the size is quite nice compared to my tiny mandarin.

SG, you might want to try the Gold series, Yosemite, Tahoe and Shasta. These are very large mandarins. These are tops also.

5 Likes

i wish my greenhouse was a little bigger! i would try to grow all of these! they look so tasty! ill have to do some research so i can limit myself.

There is no such thing a too big a greenhouse!! Too big?? You better have access to some stash cash, than you have to worry about filling this thing and having some return…down the road.
Have another option, cheap home with a big, big lot. You can always add on later, an sunroom/ Greenroom. Use your existing heat/air.
My setup is different, I converted my defunct Stainglass/ woodworking workshop into a green room with 10 ceiling. Good enough for a lot of tree’s. 10 led shoplights( electricity about $ 1. OO a month). 29 x 14’ .

2 Likes

my greenhouse is a used small one i got from local craiglist. I would need to move to a new house with a larger backyard and even more money to buy a bigger used greenhouse. i see my only realistic option is to narrow down some other greenhouse plants to get room for any desired greenhouse plants like more mandarins!

2 Likes

For those of us in the cold north, aren’t we better off just buying the fruit instead of growing the trees in pots and, after a lot of work and some $$ for electric bills, getting only a fewer than a dozen fruit?

1 Like

Here are some Dekopon I found today grown in California. It seems to have arrived earlier than previous years.

7 Likes

If you are a Prime member, Whole Foods is selling them for $2.99/lb ($1 less) but today is the last day.

1 Like

My local Fred Meyer had a whole bag for $1.99. They were very good!

1 Like

Interesting! Here, the best you can get for $1.99 is one tiny sumo.

Has anyone here fruited Sumo seedlings? Can you share your experience with the taste of seedling fruits? Mine is here https://fruitsandgardening.blogspot.com/2020/02/shiranui-and-sumo-seedling-comparison.html

3 Likes

A grafted a bunch of sumo seedlings to swingle rootstock after growing them out a year circa 2014 or so. First fruit was this year. Identical to supermarket fruit. Still have fruit hanging on my topworked tree in the back yard with budwood from Florida thru the Texas budwood bureau. I abandoned the seedling trees after bud wood became available. A friend grew out one of my seedlings.Citrus comes true to seed for 99% of citrus. Most citrus in nearly impossible to cross pollinate. CitrusSeedlings - mrtexascitrus

5 Likes

I had three on my tree that I received in pretty rough shape a year ago. I kinda neglected it and then it exploded with flowers and set 1 monster fruit, 1large and 1 medium-large. Taste was fantastic for the first two: still slightly acidic but ultra sweet, sectioned perfectly, no seeds, peeled easily, smelled fantastic and juicy only if I bit into it. I’m a new user so I can only post one pic

14 Likes

I’m looking to get a live tree, or budwood. For the citrus called Sumo, or Dekopon, or Shiranui, or Citrus Reticulata. I’m in North Florida. Any leads help. Thanks.
Farmerpat

1 Like

CCPP sells budwood. Ccpp.ucr.edu

My results from their budwood was excellent.

12 seeds, you must have ate more than a hundred, lol. They are in my opinion the best citrus and i also liked orri tangerines. I just purchased a small Dekopon, couldn’t find Orri. Hopefully it will serve us well.

1 Like

Key is let hang on trees as long as it can, then shelf for a couple weeks and throw in fridge another week. Acid disappears this way.

My two variegated dekopon trees

7 Likes