Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

We can exchange some heat/cool temps I think.
Houston Zone 9A Summer temps: 90s to Low 100s, relative humidity 80s to 90s. :wink:

2 Likes

That’s gorgeous.

1 Like

That assortment of figs is amazing.

2 Likes

That looks beautiful. I have a baby I 258, no fruit yet, but it sounds like the Pratt Street fruit is even better. Can you tell me where you were able to get your tree?
I do not see it offered on figbid.
Thank you

1 Like

@kakasamo They are indeed nice figs. I got Pratt Street from Bill at Off the Beaten Path nursery in Lancaster. I think Bass at Trees of Joy had it too. It’s a good unknown variety found growing in Maryland. Give them room to grow. These 2 varieties are vigorous.

2 Likes

Thank you for that advice. I have purchased things from bass in the past. Very good quality stock. I guess you are located quite nearby him. Of course I’m not all that far away either. I wonder if your climate is a little worse in the winter. How do you overwinter your figs?

1 Like

@kakasamo I take it your located in PA too? Hummelstown area here and I’m looking to expand my in ground fig selection. @PharmerDrewee what in ground figs have been producing well for you Drew? Your only a hop, skip, and a jump away from me!

2 Likes

@kakasamo Bass is about 1 1/2 hours away from me. I wrap mine in tarps during the winter and uncover them in mid to late March while they are still dormant. I have them planted in good microclimates to help them survive my marginal climate.

@Orange120OD Mt Etna figs and some Adriatic types do pretty well for me in the ground. I suggest you pay a visit to Tim at Threefold Farm in Mechanisburg or Bill at Off the Beaten Path nursery. They have a lot of local knowledge and grow many more figs than I.

2 Likes

Thank you.

I am from Pennsylvania, but I live near Baltimore now, about an hour south of the Pennsylvania line

Figs are growing strong still behind on fertilizer and annual clean up. Here are some pictures taken today.

Troiano Calabrese Breba.

12 Likes

Here’s a tiny portion of last year’s crop, taken from 2 different angles, a mixture of different varieties!

Here are photos of 2 different Unknown Carini figs, also from last year!

9 Likes

Amazing!

1 Like

Main crop starting to form on my inground figs. Growth is very good this year. I believe next month or so Breba will be ready to pick.

11 Likes

I noticed main crop forming on my in ground and potted trees today too. This is at least 2 weeks earlier than last year. The earliest to ripen should be ready by the end of July at the rate things are going. We are getting much needed rain to push more growth and thus more figs. Some of mine started to look sad during the heat of the day. They are planted at the top of a slope so all the water drains away.

5 Likes

My figs are greening up now after recovering from a nasty late frost in early May. I will tips punching here next week at fifth leaf to promote maincrop delevopment.

8 Likes

Just noticed the same thing a couple days ago. These got a head start in an unheated hoop house.

4 Likes

What size pots are most of those, Tony? It’s always hard to tell from a picture.

3 Likes

Which cultivars do you grow here in Our city outside?

3 Likes

Most of the pots are between 5 to 10 gallons for easy winter storage and a few are 15 gallons for the Tam Kam Asian persimmons.

4 Likes