Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

Naeem,
What do you use to fertilize your figs?

2 Likes

My only fertilizer is Osmocote Plus two full scope for five gallons per pot at the begging of the season which is right now.

4 Likes

That’s what’s what I use, too, but mine are in 15 gal pots.

1 Like

Did you apply 6 scopes per pot ?

Honestly, I could not remember but I guesstimated the amount based on the instruction on the label.

I am giving little more what is recommended due to our short growing season and it is working for me. Second thing is give them most sunny spot in your yard.

4 Likes

This is my first time seeing that much Breba Crop. Without any protection all winter no die back at all. I am worrying these Breba will delay main crop. Anyone with experience please share some thoughts.

Hardy Chicago

Carini ( Nice Green Fig )

Improved Celeste , Carini , Salem Dark

Salem Dark , Hardy Chicago.

8 Likes

Yes breba will delay main crop. But it is only a concern in a cool climate like mine.

Where you live, it won’t matter especially with these varieties that are quite early anyway.

Out here breba is often the only crop. So I am starting the experiment of removing main crop to get a bigger breba.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about breba delaying your main crop like what Ramv said. Most of your varieties aren’t known for producing an enormous breba crop, so they won’t take up too many resources. Focus instead on correct fertilization, branch thinning, and tip plucking at the right time to enhance your main crop. With that said, Hardy Chicago and other Mt Etna figs don’t have particularly good tasting breba, but a fig is a fig, especially when we haven’t had fresh ones since last fall.

4 Likes

I would remove the brebas, I kept them a couple of years ago and they were very lousy… If you really want to try them, I suggest you keep them on one tree only and compare main crop timing for the trees without breba to the one with breba.

3 Likes

Carini could have good brebas. I have had lots of brebas on trees I protected, they usually drop at some point though. Maybe I will remove some earlier this year and see if it affects main crop at all.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for your input. I will keep Breba on some branches and remove from the weak one.
Since number of branches are way more then what I want.

1 Like

I agree. Carini has quite tasty breba.

2 Likes

I just have one fig that i buried enough that the branches were covered with soil. Seems to have worked fine.

6 Likes

Figs are growing strong and loving our 80F weather for last two days.

6 Likes

Mine look amazing in this 80 degree weather. Hoping for an early harvest this year.

These breba are already about as large as the main crop.

6 Likes

Carini Breba are getting bigger and I believe in next 30 to 45 days will be ready to pick.
Never had ripped breba that early.

7 Likes

Please loan me a few degrees.
Here in Port Orchard Washington
it’s not hit even 60 degrees at 11 AM.
another cold summer.

2 Likes

I can not believe that a fig can grow that much in 10 days. Never seen that much growth at least on my figs. Post your in ground figs pictures if you can to see growth.

Picture was taken today 05-04-21 same tree . ( Salem Dark )

05-04-21

Picture was taken 04-24-21 same tree ( Salem Dark )

04-24-21

10 Likes

AMAZING !! Wow, what an excellent personal effort in fig research.

2 Likes