Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

Here are some the children picked earlier this week.

12 Likes

5 Italian 258 up top and 3 Genovese Nero on the bottom. Pretty much the same grown in my climate. I wish these were easier to root and propagate.

Italian 258

Jammy, syrupy goodness

12 Likes

Coll de Dama Gegantina Complex berry flavor. First time producing and I loved it.

9 Likes

which fig varieties held up well in rain and didnt split? which is heavy splitter? thank you

1 Like

There is no clear answer to your question because every zone and every year we have different weather.
These figs did very good this year and no splits
Coll de Dama Gegantina, LDA, Smith, Noir de Barbentane, Troiano Calabrese, Vasilika Sika (Herman), and most mt etna fig varieties.
I still have some late ripening figs hanging on will find out more in few weeks.

Lots of the figs splits this year in my zone due to excessive rains but last year did excellent.

4 Likes

This Pratt Street fig might be my favorite new fig of the year. It sure is extremely vigorous and precocious. The first year tree ripened 10 figs so far. The fruit is very rich, jammy, with very little seed crunch, and reminds me of strawberry jam. It rivals a Col de Dame in my opinion.

My last I-258 of the year. Only another 11 months before I get to eat more…

14 Likes

I hear you my friend… It feels almost like torture having to wait from year to the next for my favorite piece of fruit!

3 Likes

Bourjasotte Noire (Violette de Sollies) is the most beautiful fig this year. Third year tree shy producer and late but worth to wait. Taste is very good to excellent with size. I picked it today can leave it for another day but big rain is coming for next two days. Honey drop was visible when I picked this fig.

7 Likes

Paratjal Rimada intense sweet berry flavor. I like it but not very productive and also late. My plant is very small and may be catch up in coming year.

6 Likes

Its almost time for my figs to wake up and start growing. All potted figs are outside and buds are starting to open. We have some late cold spells and are late for about two weeks.

11 Likes

That is very impressive. What size pots do you use?

Thanks Andrew. 70% of my figs are in five gallon pots and 30% are in 10 gallon pots. I will never go over 10 gallon because it is easy to move in and out and take less space.

3 Likes

I agree. 15 gallon pots are very heavy but I upgraded some high quality varieties to those to increase production. I like the 7 gallon size for trialing new varieties. It’s just large enough for them to yield a good crop, yet I can lift them with ease. Some of those trees look like they have very long branches that should be pruned to help with tree shape and cough sharing cough.

Here are some breba on a Brooklyn White that should hopefully ripen in June.

5 Likes

15 gallon is a good size too but I do not have enough space to store these.
All these pots will go through annual maintenance , fertilization in a day or two.
I have some breba on my figs but never had a good tasting breba that might change this year.
I hope that Brooklyn White breba taste good for you.

2 Likes

My favorite breba comes from Italian 258 and Genovese Nero. They are a real treat if you grow those. I only get 5-10 a year though.

Here are some I harvested a year or 2 ago.

9 Likes

Great I have I-258 and GN AF will keep eye on both for breba.

2 Likes

Your figs are just amazing. What do you do with all of the cuttings you rooted over the years?

3 Likes

If you use perlite
the containers are much lighter.

2 Likes

Extra were given to friends and family and still have most what I rooted . Not rooting anymore cuttings unless something is very special.

2 Likes

Thanks my container mix is very light. Three part pine bark + one part organic potting mix + one part Perlite.

1 Like