Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

Their target audience is kids and stuff, not fruit growing maniacs like us. :wink:

4 Likes

Genovese Nero AF what a treat, highly regarded and top tasting fig.

15 Likes

Galicia Negra first year plant producing so for I like it.

11 Likes

Siblawi very sweet good tasting honey fig.

9 Likes

What are your favorite varieties of fig?

2 Likes

Ok here is what I learned from almost in four year figs growing. If I have to start over I will grow these proven figs first after trying out anything else. If you have a greenhouse these will all ripe for my Zone 7A for sure if no greenhouse then you have to give some late figs head start. Some of the figs are same in taste but just a little bit ripening time difference and slight taste variance. I am growing about 150 and some are too young to give any opinion on them.

Preto, I-258, Smith, Black Madeira, Celeste or Improved Celeste, Hardy Chicago, Salem Dark, RDB or VDB, Sweet Joy, Cravens Cravings , Adriatic J.H , Genovese Nero AF, White Madeira #1, Siblawi , MBVS, Black Tuscan, Dark Portuguese.

13 Likes

Have you tried strawberry verte? Any difference from Adriatic J.H?

2 Likes

Grown both for me AD JH is more productive and I like it better. Taste is about same.

5 Likes

Noire De Barbentane 09-21-2020

10 Likes

Strawberry verte 09-23-2020

Negronne Fig 09-23-2020

9 Likes

Brown Turkey 9-25-20

Knowingly picked a few days early. It’s been a tough year battling squirrels. I couldn’t risk this one getting sacrificed.

8 Likes

So this was sold as strawberry verte. They are very soft and some have fallen off. Obviously it is something else?

Squirrel knocked over my tree today trying to get them.

6 Likes

I think a lot of the confusion with these comes from the fact that Agristarts tissue cultures a fig which is sold as “Ishcia”—which some people (including nursery folk who should know better) automatically (and mistakenly) assume means “Green Ischia”—which is itself possibly a synonym for “Strawberry Verte.” Somebody gets a TC “Ischia” with the intention of getting a Green Ischia/Strawberry Verte, when, in fact, it’s a honey fig called just plain “Ischia” (which appears to be a synonym for White Ischia/Ischia White/Yellow Ischia). To further add to the confusion, some say White Ischia/Ischia White/Yellow Ischia/Ischia is identical to White Marseilles. But. . . . the TC White Marseilles in common circulation is not really WM, but looks rather like Tena. :crazy_face:

I dunno. That’s the best I can figure it.

More important, was it any good?

8 Likes

OK…so probably not a mistake, i just thought i was growing something else because of how these things are named.

I can honestly say i’ve never ate a fig before this, except in those fig newton things when i was young.

The flavor is honey like, sweet but the aftertaste is so so. Don’t really have to chew them, just suck the innards (i didn’t eat the skin). I’ll have to get another variety so i can get more to compare. Fun to grow, but they do require a ton of water.

3 Likes

Congratulations, by the way! Zone 4 figs is no mean feat. If you do decide to try another, consider one of the “Mt. Etna” type figs like Hardy Chicago, Malta Black, etc. They’re fairly short season, fruit well in pot culture and have more of a berry flavor; it’s hard to beat a well-ripened one.

1 Like

This is Black Tuscan. It’s definitely the most interesting fig so far this year. Maybe not the best but very different in flavor and texture to everything else that has ripened so far.

12 Likes

I am keep picking these figs. Yesterday rain messed up little bit and some figs split.

12 Likes

Some recent harvest.

10 Likes

I wish we can avoid some rain but still very happy :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Kesariani from a first year tree. They have a very floral flavor. This seems like a promising tree.

13 Likes