Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

@AaronN wondering how far is your thermalito being ripe. I lost my rooted cutting last winter.

Finally got a plate of Ronde de Bordeaux tonight

19 Likes

Yes, I liked it a lot as it is different from the traditional berry flavored figs I’ve tried so far. It’s also impressive that it ripened well when my watering issues screwed up almost every other fig grafted on the Panaché tree

4 Likes

My original tree was grafted but the graft union has looked terrible all year so I have made copies and the original that I have in a pot (that I showed the photo earlier) has not developed at all! I think my grafted in ground tree will ripen some. And I have some air layers set too. I don’t want this one slipping through my fingers. I probably will have an extra. If you’re still looking for one, you can hit me up.

1 Like

Wondering if any of the Turkish fig seedlings would set a decent Breba crop?
There’s sure a great variation in leaf shape and growing habits.

3 Likes

Finally got a decent boysenberry blush. Really nice/complex flavor. It could be more intense if I ripened it longer, but the watering issue and ants are not letting me do that. Great find @fruitgrower!! No wonder it’s your favorite. Have a few more that I’m protecting better.

CdD Noir is outperforming my expectations. It’s quite thick and jammy and quotes the roof of your mouth like a spoon of peanut butter. If only it were more sweet, it would be top-tier

18 Likes

I have a few of those. One year old from cuttings.

You have to grow out these to find , there is no way anyone can tell you.

1 Like

First LSU/ gold fig this year. My wife rated an 8, me a 7-. She said juicy, sweet, no strong flavor, hardly any skin, very soft.

10 Likes

I picked these in the rain after a big rain day before yesterday (Wednesday). So if you harvested after a rain and flavor is not that great just dehydrate and it will bring back to original optimum flavor :smile:. I like it little chewy and soft.

19 Likes

Are figs your favorite fruit?

4 Likes

Figs are one of my favorite fruit. Other favorites are Apricot , Peaches and Plums / Pluots .

7 Likes

Best peach vs. best fig, which would you choose? I would say peach, but fig is close.

1 Like

My choice will be figs.
Peaches I have are not close to top figs. Tasted few peaches at friends place they were pretty good and top of the line. I do not know how many figs do you have but I have quite some. I am working on my other fruit trees and add more grafts on them coming year. I am pretty new to growing figs and fruits all started in 2017.

What are your favorite peaches which you think better then or close to figs ?

2 Likes

It’s as important to have the right conditions as the right variety. I really like Red Baron and Baby Crawford. I have several more varieties that I am waiting to try or regard highly. The Messina peach I ate today was excellent. But, figs sure can be delicious, especially if they get that jammy tart sweet flavor in some of the green/yellow ones, super delicious.

2 Likes

Thanks Baby Crawford is already on my want list and will add Red Baron and Messina too.

1 Like

Well I will try to do that.

1 Like

My unknown Princeton Honey finally produced the first main crop. I believe this is the original Condit’s White Marseilles, or Thomas Jefferson’s Marseilles Monticello. This is not the Tena which is sold as White Marseilles at a lot places.

The fig is very hardy in northern climate. This tree is the 2nd year in ground. Fig ripens about the same time as Hardy Chicago, mid-season. It produces both breba and main crop. The figs are about the same. Medium to large size green to pale yellow figs. The inside flesh is amber or white pure honey color, not yellow. Fig tastes like pure honey, not the sugar type.

Do you think this fig was picked too early? Some black shade was coming up…

5 Likes

Yes a day or two early.

2 Likes

@Naeem and others with experience dehydrating figs…

I got a nice dehydrator for my birthday gift this year.

I watched a few YouTube vids last night on dehydrating figs… and some suggested parboiling them then cooled in ice water b4 dehydrating… others just washed and cut in half then dehydrated.

Is there a good reason to consider parboiling ??? B4 dehydrating ???

It seems to me that the dehydrating process itself should all that is needed… but not sure.

Some suggested 135 degrees for 12 hours ?

What have you found to work best for Chicago hardy size figs ? Mine average a little larger than a golfball.

Thanks
TNHunter

1 Like