Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

I’ve now gotten a few more ripe figs, and now I’m quite impressed! The last one I ate definitely put Chicago Hardy into my Wow! category of fruits. So if it can be that good at the end of season with all this rain, and from what I hear it’s not an especially remarkable fig, I can definitely see what the fuss is all about.

6 Likes

Hardy Chicago and all the Mt. Etna type figs ARE remarkable figs. They are just the most “common” variety. Almost everyone has it and it sells for really cheap. So people do not appreciate that.

Hardy Chicago is really hardy, early and easy to get established and very likely fruit the same season or the first season. It is a early mid-season fig. About 70-75 days to ripen. Fig may crack, but not the split at the eye. The flavor is very sweet and strong berry taste. It is definitely better than a lot of the hyped fig varieties.

9 Likes

That’s some good perspective. I’m glad you can give it to me straight, because I’m just getting started with figs. I do understand how ubiquity can get confused for low quality and novelty for quality – just look at the craft beer world.

Ok, even if the flavor doesn’t have as much room for improvement as I was thinking, I’m still quite pleased and look forward to eating more of them as it comes into production.

3 Likes

Growing fruits is a hobby. If we get 3-4 good sized fig trees in ground, they will produce enough figs for you. You probably want some varieties from other groups for different flavors. Beyond that, there is no end. You get 200+ varieties to choose for forms, color, taste and “name”.

The same with big fruits. I get several Asian pear trees. One Shin Li tree produced two large boxes of pears. They are nice gifts to give away because I do not get the time to eat pears at each meal. I’m sure a lot others get plenty apples, peaches etc.

3 Likes

Still harvesting very good quality figs despite our nights are cold . Including I-258, GN-AF, Preto and Rimada’s etc.

17 Likes

I have fig envy… harvested 2 here this evening but they were very good. Cant imagine having that many to eat.

I am going to have to plant another next spring…

2 Likes

I’m in the middle of a nice second round off this Brown Turkey. So far another 8-10 pounds. The Chicago is not a Chicago at all, but a Celeste. It’s put out a few pounds this season and they’re still coming in.

2 Likes

Half of my figs in containers are too watery or they split. We are now in the season of death (Fall) with predicted high temps in very low 70s and lows in the 50s.

2 Likes

Souadi : I am highlighting this fig because it is producing third crop. My plant is a second year rooted cutting in 3 gallons pot and harvested around 30 figs all together.
First produced
1-Breba : End of June
2-Main Crop : Middle of August
3-Third Crop : October 10, 2021.
It is a small berry fig just a notch above Hardy Chicago. I do not know about hardiness but it is early and productive for sure.

Souadi 10-10-21 Third crop

12 Likes

Aaron, CCN sets fruit really well for me, which is not the case for some other great varieties like CLBC, WM#1, I-258, etc. I suspect once yours matures a bit, it will crank out fruit for you. It is a variety that lives up to the hype.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear it Mark! I could use more of this in my life.

De la Roca. First fig off of a young tree. In contention for the single best fig of the year.

15 Likes

Dalmatie and Barnisotte have done the best resisting rain and fruit flies lately. Dalmatie does have a partly open eye sometimes though, and then bugs are a problem.

11 Likes

Wow! That red striped Rimada is really striking! What variety is that?

1 Like

Thanks @AaronN . It is Bordissot Negra Rimada .

1 Like

It’s really beautiful. Is that usual coloration for you?

1 Like

Yes. Please look back post on September 14th for more pictures. Only downside of this fig is it can not handle too much rain.

2 Likes

I have a reverted BNR and just had my firsts fruits. Delicious.

7 Likes

I am picking Chicago Hardy up around 8 ft now… step ladder… still lots left.

9 Likes

Madeira Island Black 10-20-21. I can not believe we are still getting ripe fig after passing our first frost date. Second year rooted cutting sets about 20 figs and enjoyed a lot. This fig is for hotter zones or for greenhouse and will ripe early with better taste.

13 Likes