Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

I have two potted Smith trees, and I just planted one in the ground this summer. They took about 3 seasons to start tasting good and producing well for me too. They seem to be ripening a bit earlier each year too.

3 Likes

Labritja fig. I have had about 10 or 15 of these now and it is one of my favorite. Better than cdd types imo. Very nice berry flavor.

12 Likes

I258 good, but not as good as labritja yesterday.

8 Likes

Salem Dark inground first main crop harvested today! It was excellent. Many more to come from now to mid/late October.

12 Likes

Golden River side.

11 Likes

Got a couple of CH figs to try after dinner tonight… and more ripening.

7 Likes

They do not receive enough sun? My HCs are much darker. Deep purple. Not light brown color.

@RedSun … my CH fig is in yr 4 now … in ground… and it is a huge beast of a thing.

11 shoots… and some are 10 ft long now.

I have it staked and pulled out so the shoots get as much sun as possible… it gets all day sun there… but with so much top growth… the fruit may not be getting as much sun as yours.

They are ripening mostly on the south side now which gets the most sun… but all will ripen in time.

Last year I had to pick figs with my 8 ft step ladder the last month.

I think it may get taller this year.

6 Likes

You may have good soil. Here our soil is farm clay type, not the hardy clay. During summer, it is hard for water to penetrate deep into the soil. Frequent watering only helps to some extent.

@RedSun — yes I probably put 200 lbs of compost in the planting hole when I started my fig and I made it raised, and planted my fig a little deeper than it was. Then the next 2 springs, I would rake all my mulch off and add another 50-100 pounds of compost on top, then put the old mulch and some new mulch on too.

My soil here is decent for 3-4 inches, then red sticky rocky clay so I almost always amend with compost, or make raised beds or both. Seeing how much it grew last year, I did not add any more compost this spring… but it is still growing like crazy.

1 Like

Beautiful tree. Since you have early variety and most will ripe on time. You took care of this fig right way! Good job.
I was super busy this year and was not able to thin some shoots. My figs reaching 12 to 15 feet high and harvesting will be a challenge. Good thing is I have all cold hardy early varieties and all three plants are loaded about 30 + figs on almost every branch. Next season I will prune to 2 to 4 feet high.

If anyone planning to plant in ground figs please give at least 10 feet distance between each not like me 5 feet.

12 Likes

Bummer! What city are you in?

Unk Lebanese Blonde. I really need to give this tree priority care. It’s been neglected in past years. It makes some of the best fruit each year but is inconsistent. I’m hoping that’s a result of nurture (or the lack of it).

11 Likes

Dana Point

Malta Black

Chicago hardy

Lsu gold

7 Likes

Norella breba

7 Likes

First Tia Penya of the season. I was gonna wait a bit longer but a bird pecked it. Delicious

7 Likes

Figs rain is coming these turned color overnight so watch out for your figs everyone! I will give them one more day to pick.

10 Likes

Got a few this evening… not quite peak but still very good. Bagged several more that have colored up.

7 Likes

Smith breba

5 Likes