Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

Harvested 100+ today and after sharing with neighbors these are left over. Most of the figs are Salem Dark.

"If you can let your figs hang over for a day or two longer it will improve drastically. If sap is flowing at picking means fig is not ready to pick. "

19 Likes

It’s that time of year when the figs are in abundance, along with plenty of other fruits.

13 Likes

I saw my first ripe in ground fig today. It’s one of many Hardy Chicagos to come.

I’m surprised they ripened this early because the bushes had some winter damage from lack of protection. Also there was lots of tender growth resulting from early fig rust defoliation. All of those tips died back.

Here are some well dehydrated Norella from a potted tree. They were very flavorful.

13 Likes

My odd shaped double fig (2 on 1 stem) ripened today. These are always a special treet.

11 Likes

Naeem, thanks for the start of Salem Dark. This looks like a more hefty Mt Etna. Mine aren’t too far behind yours.

Hardy Chicagos surely enough are coming in. They always bless me with enough to have some fig filled days.

9 Likes

Desert King Fig 8/23/2020. Tacoma WA, zone 8B. This one was just starting to drip nectar from the eye. It had a very sweet fig flavor and distinct notes of watermelon.

12 Likes

My CH fig treats for this evening.

12 Likes

This isn’t my tree, but I found a decent sized one while walking around town. Maybe some sort of Celeste? There were a quite a few fruit ripening.

7 Likes

Yes it does looked like my Celeste I harvested this morning.

6 Likes

I’m slowly learning the trick of irrigation deficit for fig trees. Beyond a point, they quickly defoliate and the figs turn sour. Not sure if wasp pollination is related to that as well. Once you irrigate after that, the figs are mild to bland. Watering should be just right and slowly ramped down (can’t be zero) before harvest. Also, different varieties have different levels of sensitivity - I’m yet to have a great Unk. Pastiliere that’s not sour, bland or over-pollinated (and full of seeds).

After all the above, I’m finally seeing some good ones.

Bourjasotte Gris

Yellow Long Neck, Peters Honey and BG

YLN is deceptive as it hangs down due to enormous size earlier than others. This one could have used 2 more days. Peters Honey is fantastic in my climate - spoon of thick honey.

17 Likes

Figs harvest is in full swing picked a lot today. Picture shown are my in ground HC trust me and note all figs are not same quality.
It is just dry hot weather making these so good.

18 Likes

Ben’s Golden riverside

Mixed figs

10 Likes

Oh man… those are some beautiful figs all…

I picked 4 just now… CH figs…

Remind me a little of Christmas presents when the bags are still on.

5 Likes

That Bourjasotte Grise looks amazing! It’s a really great fig.
And I agree about UP. So far I’m scratching my head about all the praise it receives.

Me too. I don’t get any “cherry” flavor whatsoever from that fig, even in the rare instances when I get good ones. There is definitely something I am missing - irrigation or caprification or graft compatibility for fruit quality or something

I don’t get cherry from any fig. I do get a tart or sourness from BG that gives it a sort of berry flavor I really enjoy. I get that same flavor from a few others.

3 Likes

:smile: :yum:.

10 Likes

Those Salem Dark look exquisite! Would you be willing to send me a scion once the leaves drop? I don’t have figs to trade but I do have apples, pears, plums, peaches, and loquat. I can PM you a list of what I have.
Chris

1 Like

Please PM me at the end of October.

2 Likes

Have you tried the apple cider vinegar +dish soap in a dish with saran wrap over it and holes poked through with a fork? That’s what we use in the kitchen and it works very well. I imagine if you put something similar near your spoiled pile that many would end up drowning in their own greed.