Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

@kybishop — yep you are just over the Mountains from me and much further from the coast than MG is… should be pretty much the same.

Appreciate your input. I am going to try Olympian next…

Think I will wait until we (eventually build) new home to add a 3rd fig (possibly Adriatic type).

That MG guy has over 100 varieties growing… I can’t imagine how you could keep that many figs under control. I think 2 or 3 good ones will do for me,.

And with 100 figs… the Olympian makes his top recommended list… because it is a dependable top producer, early, taste different, rain resistant, cold hardy, etc…

I will try it for a while and then see if I still want another.

Thanks All !!!

1 Like

How old is your ‘Adriatic JH’, some of the cultivars with more variable leaves will need to mature before their leaves are true. Leaves can also be different in a pot VS in the ground.

"The leaves are very variable in shape, it’s leaves range from un-lobed to five-lobed, plus two thumbs. Some of it’s young leaves are spade shaped. See here Adriatic JH ('Elegant Berry, Adriatic Berry' flavor fig) / Bountiful post area / Bountiful Figs

This is true.

This particular JHA is in its 2nd year from mature root transplant (several year old). So a 5’ tall tree should mature enough the 2nd year.

I also grow 10+ other “Adriatic” figs. I can tell the difference. I also grow two other JHA from other sources. I do see the 3 lobed leaves.

1 Like

Not my harvest. This is harvest from Mr. England’s farm. Finally found time to visit the farmers market in Berea, KY and get all this fruit from Mr.England’s wife.

Che Fruit: Tastes like a melon, somewhat bland. I have so much Osage orange that I might just graft a few.

Persimmons: I had my first taste of American persimmons from my own trees earlier and after tasting these persimmons from Mr. England, Persimmons are neck to neck with figs as the tastiest fruit I can produce here. In my daughters words " Insanely sweet " . I can not do justice in words describing these persimmons. They just knocked my socks off, I had to sit down to savor the complexity, the sweetness and the trying to appreciate the different flavors like cinnamon, caramel and floral aroma. I am blessed to have the opportunity to taste these.

Korean Giant Pear: very sweet with caramel flavor, My daughter said it tastes like a caramel coated pear. I have to graft one next year.

Jujubes: all different ones with small wild ones we liked the most.

Pawpaw: I got some Pawpaws as well, not in the picture. They were unnamed but all very good.

10 Likes

@Anjeerfarmer … can you give some details on the persimmon varieties you tasted at Englands… and perhaps rank them… top 3 or 4 ???

I have rootstock and plan to graft some next spring.

Some American varieties that i am hoping to graft are H63A, WS8-10, 100-46.

Others here (in other threads) have spoken highly of these… just wondering if you got to try those or found others you liked better.

Thanks
TNHunter

1 Like

Persimmons from England’s were tasted from fruit obtained at his farmer’s market stand and they were not named, all were American though. Off the named varieties I have tasted are Early Jewel, Prok, Elmo and yates and will rank them in this order. This is a limited sample and like others I have few more in pipeline that have yet to fruit.

One thing though, I grew up out of U.S eating Japanese persimmons which were plain one dimensional sweet and American Persimmons win the race by many lengths.

3 Likes

@Anjeerfarmer … i was considering adding one asian variety… IKKJ

But I am wondering now if I should or not.

I am not a fan of sweet only fruit… brix without flavor is yuck to me.

My only experience with persimmons are wild TN americans and they have a nice equal mix of flavor and sweetness that i really like.

Perhaps a hybrid … is as much asian as i should try.

1 Like

My monster CH fig (year 4).
24 ripening figs bagged.

13 Likes

Mmmmmm Good.

10 Likes

Cut fig is Violet Sepor and this was the first time I tasted one. It does live up to the hype and definitely a top tier fig with a complex berry sweet flavor. It is a very late fig for me and I do not expect to get more than a handful this year.

7 Likes

Black Manzanita (thick jammy berry flavor) and Salem White (strong honey flavor) harvested yesterday in Jackson, SC.

12 Likes

Met and older gentleman today in his 80s he said he was Persian. He planted these two trees where his son works because he said when he visits him he wants to visit the trees. He said that he has very big trees of these in his yard at home. First pic he said was a yellow fig. Second pic he said was a black fig. He said they do not mind the cold.

7 Likes

This is probably going to be my last fig of the year. It was one of the first and the last to ripen. Good ol’ Florea/Michurinska 10.

6 Likes

Hative de Argentile

Black Madeira

10 Likes

We are enjoying a rather large Chicago Hardy harvest for the first time from our 2 potted trees…

8 Likes

My first ever Atreano and Hardy Chicago today! Both were pretty good. I think they could have hung another day or two but I didn’t want to take any chances.

8 Likes

4+ weeks now and no rain…
Best figs ever.
Chicago Hardy… thick and jammy with intense flavor. Mmmmm Good.

10 Likes

Golden rainbow fig/ yellow long neck. First one for me, good fig, size makes it def worth having.

10 Likes

New record for my monster chicago hardy fig tree… 27 figs harvested this evening.

25 in the pic… my son in law and i ate two b4 the pic. They were excellent still… very jammy and tasty.

We got some frost last night… my fig tree leaves are curled up now… still have 100+ figs on the tree… oh well has to end sometime.

7 Likes

Fig Database says Harry’s is not Cold Hardy.