Show Off Your Figs and "This year Harvest"

So you have Harry’s in ground? Fig Database says it’s not cold hardy.

Nah, mine is in a pot.

1 Like

I know this fig came from Dan Foster in Michigan, which is cold as heck. Don’t know if he has it in ground or not though. Zendog is clearly saying they have seen it do great in ground in his zone… who cares what Fig Database says compared with firsthand accounts? :laughing: It’s not like Fig Database is some all knowing arbiter of truth.

People on Fig Database are probably just reporting their limited experience and haven’t grown it in ground. I’d bet they just put down not cold hardy because they haven’t experimented with it in ground yet. E.g. absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

2 Likes

Still harvesting figs from my greenhouse. These are mostly I-258, Bourjasotte Grise, Labritja, and Burgan unk. Not equal to August figs but still good. Smith started in June and these will run until January. That’s 7 months of main crop harvest. Not bad in zone 7.

10 Likes

Hello Steve was wondering if any of the above mentioned varieties or any others for that matter seem to maintain flavor better than others it’s been said that adriatics tend to keep good flavor even in the cooler weather of late summer Early Autumn. Thanks, Gary

That’s a tough question. One reason is I have too many varieties and don’t eat that many fresh figs. Mostly I eat them dried or in other foods like oatmeal. I can’t digest too many figs at once.

So I’d just be blowing smoke to answer.

2 Likes

For ants: put a line of cinnamon around the base of the trunk. They won’t cross it. And yes it blows away and needs to be reapplied but it helps.

1 Like

This is just an update on my inground no protection figs. Four figs stayed live with minimum damage I can say about 5% mostly tip damage no major. There are not much breba crop this year may be handful of figs but main crop is starting to set.

6 Likes

my figs were all protected over this past winter.

they are starting. will see if they ripen before I need to protect them again.

it was 90F today. I watered them at the end of the day. saw some wilt. they’re in full sun.

2 Likes

Main crop of figs is setting pretty good.

9 Likes

Not sure who changed this yet ‘Dalmatie (BC)’ and ‘Dalmatie (VS) are not the same, also why was the list shortened down so much

De Tres Esplets is being very productive. Its even setting doubles.

2 Likes

what’s wrong with florea? it’s struggling.

dropping leaves, figs busting, droop.

white Genoa dropped one just before it looked ripe. the rest are hanging in there

negronne has a good amount for its age. I’m worried it’ll start to drop them before they ripen.

my figs are all potted but for a Chicago Hardy and turkey. those have no fig set. they died to the ground over winter.

here’s a baby desert King. hope the heat doesn’t do him in, it is already in the 90s and will be over 110 later this summer. I’ll put shade cloth up, but I feel like they like the full sun. any suggestions on any of these?

black Bethlehem struggling too, just noticed.

here’s a guy that’s doing good

I love figs and every year feels like a fools errand to get one or two off all these little trees.

I’m in a weird climate, extreme cold and then extreme dry heat, watering I flood them every few days unless it rained, until it’s really hot then they get a flood daily or every other day. I used fish fert a month or so ago, and some calmag and 2-15-15 watered way down last week. I won’t fertilize after August 1. I’m in 6b but it can range from 5b to 7a depending on year. really wild swings.

there was a little osmocote in the soil when I reported this spring.

1 Like

wow! what variety is this?

@Fishinjunky … the pic above of 27 figs harvested one evening last fall… was from my Chicago Hardy fig. It was 4 years old (in ground) last year. The last two years we have been getting 350-400 figs from it for the season.

This pic was taken last fall.

5 Likes

Is only one fig was opened or more ? Most likely if I have a big rain can cause this.

Your figs need more vegetative growth so may be better fertilizer, in pots figs need lot more fertilizer as compare to ground. Also I would remove any competition in pots , weeds or any other thing growing. Also check if any of the plant is rootbound. Check your potting mix too , if it is not draining too quick . Also remove any dead or weak branches too.

It is true but for figs in ground due to their good rooting system and for pots only if you can provide enough moisture and nutrients .

3 Likes

only the one

I’ll get them a little more fertilizer and put up the shade!

1 Like

How do you like the taste of Des Tres Esplets?

Figs are getting bigger and in last two weeks got some size. In ground Salem Dark , Malta Black , Carini and Hardy Chicago. These are about 40 days away from being ripe as per previous data. Every branch is loaded .

7 Likes

my container figs moved to part shade and given a little fish fert, they are perkier! I thought they liked the full sun heat but they may have been getting too much for the smaller amount of soil

1 Like