Show off your fruit tree seedlings 2021

Looks about right.
The “apple” seedling…looks to be, but does it still have the two original cotyledon leaves?
Then the 4 leaves I see.

Yes.

5 Likes

Pretty healthy looking apple. (A bit ‘leggy’…probably low light situation)

2 Likes

Thanks for identity it. It is a volunteer seeding (probably Fuji). Don’t know what to do with it yet. I’ll try to increase the light so it can grow stronger

Of apple seedlings I’ve grown so far, other than Antonovka, Fuji have been my healthiest.

1 Like

Decided to add one more, this is a 6-week-old seedling of Myrciaria vexator, aka “blue grape tree” aka “false jaboticaba”:

This one will either be a houseplant or greenhouse plant, as it’s a true tropical and would not survive even our summer outside.

6 Likes

The first of my seedlings are starting to pop up.

Pear:

Apple:

A quick note, I believe these first few apple seeds that have sprouted are the ones I saved in the fridge still in the core. I just stuck it in the crisper in a ziploc. When I was ready to plant I plucked them out and stuck them in the soil. Ten days later they sprouted. The ones that I had in a ziploc alone got kind of dried out and haven’t shown any signs yet. I thought that was worth noting.

5 Likes

@Everett, those are nice looking seedling trays. You inspired me to plan something like that for my plant stand. So much more durable and sturdy compared to the flimsy plastic ones!

It will be a while before I can make mine. I may have some appropriate scrap wood in the shed, which would help. They will need to be a custom fit for my plant stand, which would be highly doable.

3 Likes

They are nice! These were inherited, but I plan to make up a bunch more myself one of these days from scraps I have kicking around.

1 Like

Handful of apples and plums that got an early start. Germinated in November as a test batch. Getting set to do 4 or 5 trays (Rootmaker 18s) of apples and pears.

8 Likes

Nice! What are your plans for them?

By grafting an NZL mature bud to an NZL seedling I can get fruit from a smaller tree and there will be no chance of graft union incompatibilities. The fruit may taste better tnan that of grafted trees.

Plan to grow them out in pouches this summer here at the house, and then plant at our family farm this fall or next spring to use as rootstock, or just let them go and see what they produce (more so as wildlife trees rather than to harvest for consumption).

2 Likes

These are seedling Meiwa kumquat tree at 4 years 2 months old.

Temperatures dropping down to 20F so they had to come inside.

8 Likes

Here are my apple tree seedlings so far. These are a cross from Redlove Calypso as seed parent, columnar Golden Sentinel as the pollen parent.

Calypso is a red flesh apple developed by Lubera in Switzerland. My tree came from One Green World. I chose that as the seed parent because Calypso is described by the breeder as the most fragrant of the Redlove apples. I thought they were quite tart in their first year, and small but crisp and a bit cranapple flavored.

Golden Sentinel is a Canadian development, a cross of ‘Discovery’ X (cross of Wijcik Spur MacIntosh x Delicious). Discovery is an English cross of . Worcester Pearmain with, possibly, Beauty of Bath, reported to have a bit of a strawberry flavor and red coloration that sometimes bleeds into the flesh. So Golden Sentinel has some good flavor genetics. I like it although it seems to be biennial bearing.

My pipe dream is to create a columnar apple tree with reddish leaves, pink flowers, red flesh apples that are sweeter than Calypso but more fragrant than Golden Sentinel, which I think is a good apple as is. Since two of the seedlings have reddish leaves, I might be part way there. They have a 50% chance of columnar trait. According to the Canada Plant Inspection Agency, Golden Sentinel has shorter internodes compared to McIntosh Wicjik, so it’s possible that I might see that in seedlings although I don’t know if I would recognize it. I try to put these on a top shelf where they get more sun, because I don’t know if the wavelength of the LED lights is suitable for red-pigmented leaves.

I just up-potted these today. They have nice root systems. They are in a glass sunroom, so the red color might be less intense than if in unsheltered sun. The other two seedlings are a Jalapeno and a Serrano pepper.

7 Likes

I love the color, looks a lot like the leaves on my pink guava seedlings:

5 Likes

Very nice. The red fleshed seedling in the right front looks especially promising.
Like it will be vigorous. And probably bear nice sized fruit. Even the third one in back seems to have a wee bit of reddish pigment.

2 Likes

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I can’t wait until my trees mature enough that I can start making some intentional crosses.

3 Likes

Update: apple and pear looking good!
Didn’t get the germination rate I had last year, but I think I learned what mistakes I made.

6 Likes

Got my apple and pear up potted today. I’ll put them out during the day and bring them in at night for the next month or so, then plant them in the nursery.

I even got my toddler to “help” (for 5 minutes before he found a mud puddle to run through…)

6 Likes