The "blue grape" jaboticaba (Myrciaria vexator)

It looks like the only other person to ever mention this species of jabo on the forum was @E-jardim, but that was in 2018. Curious if anyone else has experience growing this one or has tasted the fruit. Here’s a profile of the species:

I have a single second-year seedling that barely survived last winter in my semi-heated greenhouse, but seemed pretty happy in there this summer. I posted a baby photo of it last year, and here’s what it looks like today:

It has an aggressively weeping habit, and has been that way since it sprouted, but I’m not sure if that’s true of the species generally or just this specimen. I’ve decided to let it be a houseplant until next summer, so hopefully it doesn’t die back as much as it did last winter.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Starting to push a flush for the first time since fall, it might almost be time to move out to the greenhouse, at least as soon as the overnight lows warm up a little more. The cat has decided the leaves are perfect for nibbling, and hasn’t died, so I guess it’s not toxic to cats?

2 Likes

I’ve had mine outside on a concrete patio with other Myrciaria and Plinias since last Fall in Stuewe CP512R pots. We’ve had maybe 1/2 dozen mornings with 2-3 hours of 38°F and many more with 8-12 hours near or at 40°F. Daytime temperatures have been 55-65°F with a few days in the low 70’s.

I’ve seen only a tiny amount of damage after the sub-40 temperatures and only on the Ecuador species. Most plants have also put out new growth during this time.

2 Likes

Mine’s about 7-8 feet, been fruiting for a couple of years now (unlike the neighboring yellow jabo, whose flowers refuse to set).

It’s a decent fruit, and a very pretty tree imo. Having grown and eaten it, I wouldn’t go out of my way to obtain it again if I somehow lost it, but I am glad to have it, and enjoy it.

Sweet pulp (can be somewhat resinous, though it loses that trait the longer you let it sit on the table), inedible (tough and resinous) skin and seeds. Low pulp ratio, it’s kind-of like eating a Quenepa (Melicoccus bijugatus), where you break the skin, pop the innards into your mouth, scrape and suck the pulp and then spit out the seeds.

There are better jabos. I regularly eat the Red Hybrid, Skin & Seeds and all, no toughness, no resinous quality (the skin is allegedly thinner than a standard jabo, and tangy).

The Blue Grape:

6 Likes

Brought mine in for the winter recently, and just noticed it had a bad infestation of some kind of scale insect. Gave it a soapy drench and then crushed each insect and wiped every leaf. Luckily, it’s a small enough plant still that it wasn’t an overly challenging task.

3 Likes

@aap Bob has grown it for several years. He was kind enough to send some for me to try. It tasted different. I am glad I had a chance to try the fruit, thanks to Bob.

Hope Bob will chime in.

2 Likes

Here is Bob’s thread. His tree was loaded.

2 Likes

I grow a red Jaboticaba bought from The Flying Fox about 10 years ago. It’s under lights now since yesterday in the basement garage. I bring the tree in when night temps drops to 36*. It’s still with a heavy load of fruits. Other than being tropical it’s doing just fine, it’s like constant candy in the garden. Wife(picky) doesn’t like care for them, why? Large seed!
Next month is the start of citrus, mandarins great, Pomelo’s greaaat!
The bad news? Mediocre year in all, but for me, still good!! Can’t complain.

3 Likes