Show off your loaves

Ah-ha! yes that sounds like the makings of a great hamburger/sandwich bun.
Tortas I am familiar with…now i know the name of the bread that makes 'em!

1 Like

That’s pretty cool. I get a somewhat similar effect with my makeshift setup.

I have a big baking stone that covers most of my bottom rack. I preheat the oven with a 6 qt.enameled cast iron dutch oven inside.

I slide my bread onto the stone, then cover it with the inverted dutch oven. Kind of modified version of the popular no-knead methot, but instead of putting bread in the dutch oven, then the lid on top - I just use the inverted oven. That way I can slide my bread in instead of dropping it. No need for parchment paper or a violent, clingy, drop.

There’s no provision for adding water, but the dutch oven captures steam from the bread.

2 Likes

Sometimes I like to use a enameled cast iron dutch oven with a lid.

I have done that only once before.
Major steam burn when I carelessly lifted the pan off of the bread. :flushed: Sometimes I amaze even myself. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That sounds like it works great! I sometimes toss a couple ice cubes in for some steam. That might be a little dangerous with a stone though.

Wowwwwww!

1 Like

23% whole wheat shokupan. It was fantastic; we ate most of it with butter for dinner and with jam for dessert.

Recipe here for anyone that wants to try:

9 Likes

Very very nice looking loaf!! I have read of several recipes using the tangzhong method and want to give them a try. A friend just made cinnamon rolls (another KAF recipe) using this method and said they were phenomenal.

I had never heard of them! I think they sound great, & would love to find a place that serves them with homemade rolls so I have some perspective as to what they should be like in that context.

I won the white bread category at my county fair with a tangzhong bread. It’s amazing, you really must try it.

2 Likes

Fabulous looking. And meticulously made! Bravo!

Hey that’s great! Way to go!
I will definitely give the method a try. In fact I was going to try the cinnamon roll recipe last weekend but just got lazy and did other stuff instead!! :wink:

I had some amazing japanese bread in Taipei…it should’ve inspired me to try the tangzhong but sadly I haven’t ever gotten to it.
I’m actually pretty lazy when it comes to bread these days - i don’t know the last time i tried a totally new recipe or method! :shushing_face:

I make the same recipes all the time too.
I was asked to make dinner rolls for a luncheon tomorrow. These are standard white soft & squishy rolls. it’s what people want me to make, so I just keep making the same ones. :wink:
Just came out of the oven & brushed with butter.

9 Likes

Recipe please!

1 Like

yeah!
Nomnomnomnom

1 Like

You bet, here it is below. It is my go-to recipe when I want 2 dozen that are done in a little over 2 hours. Extra yeast really speeds both rising times. They freeze great!!

Here is the recipe I really like when I have more time and want more flavor. It uses potato and potato water and has slower rising times. It also produces a really soft delicious dinner roll.

4 Likes

Ciabatta rolls fresh out of the oven

11 Likes

Nice to see this thread still going strong! I’m still baking two small Einkorn sourdough loaves a week:

I’ve been using a higher hydration dough and have been getting exceptional oven rise from it. Even though I score it with a lame the dough tends to find it’s own way to split and crack. Super crusty!

9 Likes

I prefer to keep things as simple as possible given limited time so I stick to this 100% whole wheat sourdough. Just flour, water, and salt so I don’t have to worry about having the right ingredients and there is less to clean up. More time eating, less time prepping!

6 Likes

Cool! So true - rustic sourdough breads are so simple - very easy in that regard!

Those look great!
I haven’t done ciabatta in a long time. You may have inspired me.

1 Like