Show off your loaves

I will throw in some einkorn, buckwheat, or rye sometimes for a little variety but of course this weakens the dough.
For wheat I only use hard red wheat, either spring or winter. I get everything whole and grind it myself. It’s hard to compare winter with spring because I get them from different sources and the freshness varies.

I love spelt (also weak of course) but I can no longer seem to find whole berries anywhere!

That is really impressive on the dough proofer! I know I would benefit from more consistent temps but too lazy to do anything about it :rofl:

1 Like

Forgot adding yeast to the breadmaker :man_facepalming:t4:

4 Likes

rats! been there before myself!
you could put it in your compost pile or use it for the proverbial doorstop!

Or you can blend it up in a food processor and use it for bread crumbs.

It was treat time again today. 3 dozen cinnamon rolls and about 75 doughnuts…many cream (vanilla custard) filled.

4 Likes

I’m comin’ over!! :rofl:

1 Like

Do you have help making the doughnuts? I love to make them but hate the frying part…
I was also curious if your first rise is overnight? Then roll out & cut, rise, fry and fill in the morning? Yours looked perfect!

1 Like

The cinnamon rolls are what force us to get up before the roosters. They rise twice. :smirk: The doughnuts are mixed, and the dough starts rising right away, but we just roll them out and put them on small squares of parchment paper to rise once before frying.
I do have help. My dear hubby gets up with me, we get dough mixed and ready and then our daughter joins us about 5 am and her and hubby fry the doughnuts while I either make a second batch or work on the coconut oil truffle type chocolate I like to put on them.
The vanilla custard gets made the night before so it can cool in the fridge.
We have been using the blue bag of Wheat Montana non gmo flour, and the dough is like the biggest blob of crazy goey stuff, fluffy once cooked, the blob revisited before it’s cooked.

We did a thickened maple syrup topping on some otherwise plain doughnuts yesterday. The lack of leftovers and two gallons of vanished coffee means it was edible at least. :wink:

5 Likes

Pastry with tamarillo jam… :yum:

3 Likes

Thanks Jolene! The last recipe I used calls for an overnight rise in the fridge, which can be helpful. Your one-rise doughnuts sound great too. I wondered how you handled all that dough with multiple rising times and only 2 hands!!!:open_hands: It is good to have helpers!

too funny!!! :joy: wet doughs make for moister baked products though, so it sounds like your recipe is a winner!

I can’t imagine there would be much, if any leftovers at my house. Everyone loves doughnuts and cinnamon rolls. The cinnamon rolls are time consuming… I don’t make them as often as the boys would like, for that reason! But homemade beats store bought, right? If you’re going to eat a sweet treat, you may as well make it yourself and enjoy every morsel!!! At least that’s my philosophy! :doughnut:

2 Likes

A couple loaves from this morning. 50% whole wheat, 50% all purpose

12 Likes

Beautiful!!!

1 Like

Looks delicious Travis!

1 Like

wow, awesome!
What are you baking those in?

I bought a cast iron roasting pan just for batards. I was just making boules, but they’re hard to make into sandwiches and eat practically.

Something like this. Cabelas used to have them, but I don’t see it on their website anymore.

2 Likes

Exactly! I’m currently limited to boules if i want to use the dutch oven technique. I guess i could get a “La Cloche” baker. But that product you linked to is pretty cool-looking.

I have also struggled with a good shaping technique for larger high-hydration batards. Any tips appreciated but of course it can be very hard to put into words…

Yeah for the price it’s not bad compared to other products. I’ve been happy with it.

There’s always this but I can’t really justify the cost for what I do.

I’m by no means an expert but this is what I do for shaping.

I first shape them into balls and tension them by pulling them toward me on the counter with one hand putting pressure on the edge. Basically like you would for a boule. Then, I bench rest them for a half hour.

For the batard I gently flatten it out in an upside-down trapezoid. The biggest end on top. Then I fold the outside edges each toward the middle. I press on the seams with my fingers. I’ll then start at the top and roll it toward the bottom. Each time I flip it over I press down on the seam to tension the gluten. Then when I get it rolled up I’ll use my bench scraper to roll over the ends so they’re sealed. I’ll give it a couple pulls toward me to even everything out then plop in the proofing basket.

I’m not sure if that makes any sense haha. I can try and take pictures next time if you want.

3 Likes

no actually I follow you exactly!
well written!

I made Telera rolls today.

They are a really good sandwich roll but I also like them for cheeseburgers. Soft inside, a bit of a chew in the crust and they hold up well when you load them up with all the fixins

11 Likes

YUM!
What’s a Telera roll? (more fun than Googling)

1 Like

I hadn’t heard of them until I ran across the recipe at KAF. This is part of the description:
This staple bread for Mexican sandwiches is made in bakeries all over Mexico; it’s a smaller cousin of French bread, with a softer texture inside, and a crispy crust on the outside…Telera are most often used for the Mexican sandwich known as a torta…

I liked the look of them and thought they sounded like they would be worth a try.
I have made so many different hamburger bun and sandwich roll recipes over the years, I loose track. I like these because they are soft yet they don’t disintegrate when they get filled up with juicy ingredients. I like the slight chew to the crust too.

1 Like