Show off your loaves

I used some canned San Marzano tomatoes this time out. I’ve got some homemade sauce made from New Big Dwarf tomatoes from the garden for the next pizza. So many cool things about this kind of pizza, most notably the seasoned crunchy bottom crust. Next level stuff.

2 Likes

I’ve gotten hooked on canned San Marzanos…may never go back.
I do pizza fairly often. I do a sort of Neapolitan style, as best i can in my electric oven, with wild yeast leaven. Sometimes i wish for more flavor in the crust but i feel too lazy to really do much tinkering with it LOL
Though actually I did recently change my method slightly and it has helped some.
I really love a deep dish pizza so i may have to try it soon!

2 Likes

Our apple pie

Bread of spelt, sweet potato and walnuts

12 Likes

We call it bôla de carnes… like a meat cake. Really good!

8 Likes

Not sure if this counts. It’s whole wheat pawpaw bread.

11 Likes

Hi! Very nice. You used pawpaw fresh pulp? Thank’s! :+1:

Picked this morning, yes.

1 Like

That’s great! And the bread taste sweet?

1 Like

I was feeling pretty proud of myself. Started baking sourdough a few months ago. Thought I was doing pretty good. Expanded to a roasted garlic cheese sourdough. but…wow! I am not even in the same league as the bakers posting here. Very impressive. This is going to be a topic that I will be “studying” Just wow!

3 Likes

Apple cake…

10 Likes

That’s a lovely thing.

1 Like

Thank’s! It was the first time my wife made it… she invented the recipe and she use it peanut butter too. It is very yummy! :yum:

Dragon Fruit Bread - YouTube

It looks YUMMY! :yum:

Not exactly loaves here. Apple cinnamon coffee cake and Boston cream doughnuts.
Some have regular chocolate glaze…but I prefer the stuff made more like truffle… just smooth chocolate made with milk, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and coconut oil blended super smooth.

There is another cake twice that size…and 132 total doughnuts counting some filled with raspberry jam. Fresh coffee too!

This has turned into a regular saturday event. Friends and family… and fun food! When the weather is good they play volleyball too.

9 Likes

@joleneakamama - I will be right over!!! :yum: :joy:

3 Likes

Jolene! You’ve done it again! Who wouldn’t want one of those fabulous donuts? They look delicious! And I want one! The only thing that comes closes here is an eclair. What a great and lucky family you have.

6 Likes

I’ve been doing 100% whole grain (or very nearly 100%) 100% wild yeast hearth loaves in the Tartine vein for several weeks now.
Of course you don’t get quite the crumb of a white flour loaf, but the flavor is so rich.
I wish I could get more loft, but this one was decent and the scores opened decently …

10 Likes

I love whole wheat bread! Something you can try is to give it a longer autolyse. I also like to go a little higher in hydration since the flour seems to absorb more water.

2 Likes

Thanks for the ideas!
I tend to go on automatic pilot and don’t put a lot of effort into really perfecting things or making adjustments. I do adjust things I guess but very slowly over time and perhaps somewhat randomly.

I haven’t thought much about tinkering with the autolyse. I’ve been going about an hour. From memory I think this is longer than the base Tartine recipe. But perhaps even longer could do interesting things.

The fresh-milled whole wheat definitely absorbs a lot of water. I started with 80% hydration on the loaf above but it probably ended up north of 85%. I think it STILL could’ve taken more. This is definitely an area I am adjusting as I go.

I have also been doing very long bulk fermentations, several hours at around 65 degrees and mixing with cold/cool water. I always do an overnight retarded proof for the convenience. So the bread is almost 24 hours in the making most of the time.
You may have nudged me into trying to cut the bulk fermentation dramatically to see what that does. (though the reason i like the long fermentation is the resulting flavor profile, even if some loft is sacrificed)

Have you tried playing with different types of wheat? I really like hard red spring mixed with some soft white or even some spelt mixed in. I generally follow the Tartine method too. The bulk ferment really depends for me depending on how active the starter is and the room temperature. I made a proofing box with a 100 watt light bulb, cooler, and a thermostat controlled outlet. That really helps with consistency in the winter.

1 Like