Sierra Pear

The Sierra Pear sounded good to me - similar to Bartlet but higher quality and hardier. (It is a cross of Bartlett x Marquerite Marillat in Summerland B.C. 1969). I got scions from the ARS-GRIN program and grafted onto branches of three different growing pear trees. Three years later I lost two of the three to fireblight but Summercrisp was fine as were the Sierra grafts. I continued to graft over Summercrisp to Sierra the next three years, hoping it would be a good pear. This year it had the first fruit on the first graft, and my first “regular” pear fruit in my orchard. It wasn’t very large but it was certainly the queen of the pear world for me (the only other pears I had were some Summercrisp’s rather small, rather blah fruit).

I waffled endlessly over when to pick it. Finally decided it LOOKED like it had turned a lighter shade of green. Maybe. And I was pretty sure it felt just a little give at the neck. I hoped. I picked it October 3. Left it on the counter ten days then gave in and cut it up, the big anticipation over. Relief - it was very nice. Smooth, sweet, just a little grit around the core, nice texture, nice firmness. I now look forward to more, removing the rest of the Summercrisp branches, turning the entire tree over to Sierra. Sue

Sierra-fruitontree-100322-gf

Sierra-firstfruithand-100322-gf

Sierra-firstfruit-100322-gf

12 Likes

@Sue-MiUPz3

Nice looking pear and not one i grow yet. Glad to hear this good report.

2 Likes

Sue can i hit you up for a few scions next spring? sounds like a pear i need here. :wink:

1 Like

Hi Steve, I think I can find a piece to cut - not much “extra” growth yet though. Remind me late winter if I don’t contact you then. Sue

1 Like

thank you. i only need 1 piece. i have a seedling mountain ash im going to convert to it.

Sierra Pear- Seedling of Bartlett x Marguerite Marillat in Canada 1969.

Aurora Pear- Bartlett x Margaret Marillet cross Geneva NY 1964.

Coincidence? Or perhaps in 5 years time someone from Canada got it across the border and changed the name?

1 Like

This Canadian Govt research center has been located in my home province for over 100 years. It has developed many great varieties of fruit. Surely you jest that they are merely stealing others work and slapping a new name on it,

its probably happened more than we realize in the u.s and can. were there’s easy money to be made, companies take advantage.

With private companies I might agree, govt research facilities not so much IMO.

govt is worse but they cover it up better. govt / big corps are the same imho.

1 Like

Maybe your govt.

:smile: :wink:

In the world of apple (and pear) crosses, the same pair of parents can produce different children.

Cox’s Orange Pippins x Golden Delicious have produced quite a few outstanding children. The well known ones are Freyberg and Rubinetre.

It is possible that Sierra pear and Aurora pear shared the same parents. They may even have other siblings that we don’t know about done by other research centers in other countries, esp. in Europe

3 Likes

didnt meant to inspire theft… in the 60s the Canadians changed the names of cars quite often…along with other things.

How about 'Creative Marketing" instead of theft?

In 1968 Americans were driving Chevelles…Canadians were driving Beaumonts.

2 Likes

Those were produced by the same companies, production in the Canadian divisions were likely simply rebadged. Ford & GM both used to have manufacturing plants in Canada, although I believe GM has drastically reduced it’s Canadian presence.

How did this topic morph from pears to cars? :crazy_face:

It’s a holiday in BC today, so I think I deserve a BC pear cider to bring us back on topic. :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

same difference. i live on the border and my family came from Quebec and some are still there. they arent fans of the current government either.

1 Like

hey Sue. just to ,let you know i put the Sierra pear scion on my Ivans beauty hybrid mountain ash and it grew nearly 5 ft. since i put it on there. it’s the tallest branch on the tree. next spring im going to cut some off of it to graft to other trees including a harrow crisp i planted last spring.

3 Likes

How fun! Hope it fruits for you - that will be very interesting. Though I had a couple dozen blooms on my tree (which also has quite vigorous growth) I think a mid 20’s freeze did them in. Hopefully next year. Sue

2 Likes

Sierra = Bartlett x Conference (per Montanari 2020)

sierra

Aurora has not changed

aurora

2 Likes