SMC’s 2021 Orcharding Season: Mostly Pictures

What materials are you using for your labels? And what kind of marker are you using? The reason I ask is because as many of you know after some time some labels the ink is gone and that let you with another Unknown variety!

That’s how great nectarines look like!

2 Likes

Here’s a link: https://www.everlastlabel.com. So far, I’ve been happy with them. They sell the pens too.

1 Like

Great, thanks Steven! Also great pics of your awesome fruits! Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Steven,
I meant to mention this a while back but kept forgetting. My JT-2 grafts results were concerning.

I grafted on a Prok (a Prok is on a native American persimmon). Both graft toik but the first ine showed sign of dreaded black streak. I let it grow After several weeks, the graft could not hold any leaves.

The second graft did not have the blackish streak but right now, the leaves showed sign of some deficiency. It is odd because the rest of the tree is fine. The leave issue is only on that graft.

What’s happened?

I found the pic of the new growth from the first JT-2 scion with blackish streak.

Now leaves on that new growth have fallen off.

I had this happen to a Kyungsan Ban Si and Tecumseh tree this spring where the leaves start showing black streaking and fell off. I panicked and cut both down and removed the rootstock too in case it would spread to other trees.

Are the Prok scions on the same rootstock?

Yes. The rootstock is American Persimmon. I grafted a Prok on it in 2019. It grew well.

In 2020, I grafted a JT-2 on this Prok. It has grown very well, too.

This year, I grafted two more JT-2 on the remaining Prok branches. That’s when this happens. I think I will remove both new grafts. Blackish streaks on persommon wood is never a good sign.

I had that happen with my JT-02 as well the first year I grafted it. I was worried, but just decided to wait and see what would happen. The tree ended up being completely fine. I’m not sure if it’s something that just happens with JT-02. But I always thought it had something to do with a small scion growing very vigorously on a more mature rootstock. I’m not really sure, though.

What worries me is why the JT2 leaves look like they suffer nutrient deficiency!!!

1 Like

Honey Royale nectarine. Excellent. I think Alan described this one as mango-like a few years back. I’d agree. It’s dense, sweet, and rich.

Clayton peaches are starting to ripen. I’m a big fan of this one. It’s easy to grow, produces well, and tastes great. I’m planning on drying a whole bunch of these guys this year to have through the winter.

Not-Ernie’s Choice. I’m not sure what this one is. I grafted it as Ernie’s Choice, but it doesn’t look like it. It actually reminds me a lot of Pallas peach. But none of my Pallas peaches are ripe yet, so I’m not really sure.

Satsuma plums have been a bug and bird favorite this year.

Winekist surprised me by being ripe already. Crisp and super-tart-sweet. Lots of cranberry flavors in this one. It’s great.

Eating like a peasant king!

16 Likes

Are you sure this is Honey Royale? HR is free stone, and the photo is showing a cling or semi-cling nectarine. Honey Kist/Honey Blaze are cling and I expect them to be ripening around this time of the year in your climate.

1 Like

Hmmm, could be Honey Lite. I have the two grafts right next to each other. I was pretty sure I’d eaten all the Honey Lite, though.

3 Likes

Re. Not-Ernie’s Choice. That looked like a white peach. Could it be White Lady? The timing is right.

Hard to say. I’m going to have to go back to my notes of what I grafted that year. I got the Ernie’s Choice scion from the USDA, so it’s probably a mix-up on my end and not theirs.

1 Like

“It’s probably a mix-up on my end, and not theirs”. That’s my line. Unfortunately, I did this to myself more than once, or twice :grin:

1 Like

It could be Nectar… Nectar has a small seed like that. It is not Pallas, it is not pointed and is too early for Pallas. My Pallas are nowhere near ripe yet.

Glad you like Clayton, it is one of my favorites. Unfortunately the critters got almost all of mine this year.

1 Like

Not sure the actual name of this one. I got the scion wood a few years back labeled “red flesh.” These guys turn mushy on the tree real quick if they’re not picked at the right time, but I think they need another week or two.

A few Winblos ripening up. I like this one a lot. It has a distinct vanilla flavor going on.

Birds always seem to get the bulk of my elderberries before I can harvest them, which is too bad, because they make a great jam.

14 Likes

Great pictures of some great looking fruit as always!

I’m not sure if you want to make the effort for it, but I’ve found elders are very easy to protect from the birds since they form those big heads of berries. I just pick out about a dozen of the larger heads and slip the 5-gallon paint strainer bags over them and zip tie the bag around the stem.

6 Likes

Thanks @zendog. That sounds like a good plan!

1 Like