SMC’s 2021 Orcharding Season: Mostly Pictures

Steven,
Your post reminded me to check my Winblo. It is not quite ripe as I had to pull it off.

I wonder if there is a way to verify that mine is the real Winblo. I am pretty I grafted the correct scionwood since I really want this variety for some time.

It was in a Clemson bag so the color is off. It is on a large size with pointed bottom and skin is quite fuzzy.

What do you think?

Most of my Winblo aren’t quite ripe yet. Just a few in full sun at the top of the tree were. I think the majority need another week or so.

Agree. Mine will need at least a week. I only have a graft and there are 5 Winblo on it.

1 Like

I did lots of harvesting over the weekend in advance of a tropical storm coming through our area. Fortunately, we didn’t get hit so bad.

Satsumas have been really good this year. Very dense and juicy.

July Prince and Winblo have probably been my two best peaches this year. Tons of flavor, sweetness, and juice.

Broken Heart, which is a sport of Elephant Heart I got from Arboreum a few years back, has been cracking fairly bad with all the rain we’ve gotten this summer. This one was under ripe, but still okay (not as green-tasting as it looks). It’s supposed to have more of a red blush to the skin and lots of chaotic, starburst coloring to the flesh. Hopefully that will come through in some of the few still hanging on the tree.

Clockwise from the top: PF19-007, Winblo, Mystery Peach, more PF19-007. I don’t really like PF19-007 because of rot issues and a sort of mealiness to the flesh, but they have good flavor and do well as dehydrated peaches. A lot of this was turned into jam, some was dehydrated, and a bunch given to neighbors.

It’s been a good year for evaluating which tomatoes can stand up to the humidity and rain. Chyornyi Tarasenko has been a surprise winner.

17 Likes

Very impressive.

I am still amazed that your Winblo ripened already. Mine are still several days away.

I don’t know Broken Heart is that color. So different from Elephant Heart.

The quality of your pics make any fruit look great.

2 Likes

With two sprays and your peaches looked so clean. If I did two sprays (fungicide and insecticide), I know I will get a lot of brown rot and worms.

1 Like

So many of the Russian/Ukrainian open pollinated types seem to do surprisingly well in different climates. Is this one a regular indeterminate or a shorter plant? I’ve seen people say both things about it, so wasn’t sure.

I’ve grown a bunch of eastern European varieties that have done really well. One of my favorites is Biskaya Rosa, which is an early pink beefsteak type (maybe a little rounder than most flatter beefsteaks) that I think was bred to get a crop in the short season in Siberia. But it loves my hot, humid summers in Virginia just the same. Very little splitting from rain, good production all season long and very tasty.

I think it’s supposed to color up quite a bit more (although even a riper one I had from a broken branch was still more yellow than red). Here’s a picture from the Arboreum website. image
Their description makes me think the fruits are highly variable though:
Discovered in the orchards of L.C. (“Elsie”) Huerta of Tulare County, a spontaneous mutation (sectorial chimaera) of Elephant Heart that provides more flash, sparkle and zip in a fruit than we at The Arboreum are accustomed to … rays of blood red from the center of the yellow fruit, a line of purple along the suture, and the same rich flavor and dense flesh as in the original Elephant Heart. Our favorite plum after Labor Day. Every fruit unique and colored differently, collect them all and amaze your friends! Early – mid September.

I ended up taking your advice and doing a third spray because of all the rain we were getting.

Indeterminate. I’ve been saving seeds from this one. So just remind me and I’ll send you some this winter – I owe you anyway.

1 Like

Everything’s really picking up the pace now. Late summer apples are starting and peaches are coming in all at once. Here’s a sampling.

Pink Pearl

I’m starting to get a few Kidd’s Orange Red apples each time I shake the tree now. These should continue ripening for a week or two.

July Prince has been great. Every once in a while one will be mealy. But most have excellent texture and flavor.

PF19-007 I’ve been slowly grafting over this tree. It’s a rotter, doesn’t have great texture, and tears at the stem when it pulls off the tree. Mostly I’ve been dehydrating these or baking with them.

I love Hakuto. Too bad these are just starting to ripen now. We’ve got thunder storms coming in tonight and three inches of rain coming on Thursday. I’ll pick what I can before that, but most aren’t at peak flavor yet. Here’s a good article on this peach.

A few variegated leaves on my Martinenca Rimada tree.

A mantis from one of the ooths I hatched this spring. I think this is a female Carolina mantis.

17 Likes

GREAT looking fruit!!!

1 Like

Outstanding!!! As always awesome fruits and vegetables and great pictures!

1 Like

Your peaches looked great. Mine have been mostly rain-soaked.

My Kidd’s have not been able to set fruit. It flowered last year and this year but no fruit set.

Great pics and products.

2 Likes

Apples seem to be ripening earlier this year than they should

This one specimen of WineCrisp was way earlier than others still hanging on the tree because of some damage to the blossom end. I’ll reserve judgment until I eat a few more. But this was very promising in terms of both flavor and cleanness of fruit.

Making up a batch of cider from some of my red fleshed apples.

A random squash came up from the compost pile that’s been producing tons of high quality fruit this season. They all have a Monet-like quality about their coloring.

Monarch caterpillar, chomp chomp chomping away.

13 Likes

Small but mighty, Frostbite is a whole lot of sweetness without being cloying. It’s not a candy-like sweetness, but something closer to honey and maple. Very good.

My Senshu tree is on a bud9 rootstock I’ve got growing in a pot behind some larger trees. Every spring I intend to move it, but it’s set roots into the ground at this point so I’ve been leaving it alone. I think its less-than-ideal location explains why the fruit is dull green rather than yellow red. But the taste still comes through. It’s pretty singularly sweet, not much complexity, but crisp and juicy in a way that makes it good to eat.

I got this apple from @chartman a few years back (I don’t think he’s active on the forum anymore). It was a red fleshed apple he found growing wild somewhere in Michigan. When I grafted it out, I labeled it <3man Red for short, so that’s what I’m sticking with. It’s a fruit-punch-fruity flavored apple that’s really pretty inside and out. Texture-wise it’s a little mealy, but not bad. It seems to be an early fall apple that needs to be eaten soon after it’s been picked.

I think this is one of the Harrow pears.

Gino’s Black is always one of the first figs of the season for me. It’s nothing trendy – just a good tasting, reliable fig that’s dependable in the northeast.

11 Likes

Yup,
Your Senshuare so different from @Z9gardener ’s Senshu.

I think that’s Harrow pear is Harrow Sweet. Mine will be 7-10;daysto ripen.

I think it’s because mine is grown in the shade. It has a large tree in front of it, and vines all over it. It’s a mess. I really need to find a better spot for it.

Do you feel like things are ripening earlier for you this year or normal?

It is quite normal. I am a bit surprised that your fruit ripen sooner. It could be that your orchard is closer to 6b than 6a

1 Like

First persimmon of the season! This one was bird-pecked and a little astringent still. But it’s great to be eating persimmons again nonetheless.

Rubinette is an excellent apple. Delicious, easy to grow, clean fruit. I made some crosses this spring of Rubinette and Pink Parfait. It’d be great to get red flesh in a similar tasting apple.

Hoople’s is another super grower friendly apple. I feel like there are pear-flavored russets and honeyed-citrus-flavored russets. This is a great version of the honeyed-style.

This is the second Cornish Aromatic I’ve had this year, and I still think I may have picked it too soon. Or maybe it needed to sit in the fridge for a while. Either way, these have just been kind of blah so far.

I think this is Lane Muscadine. I’ve had a few different muscadines since 2016, and they’ve pretty much all died to the ground each winter. This one survived this past winter better than most, and it finally produced a handful of fruits. These were okay but probably underripe. If the birds don’t get the rest, I’ll see if they improve with another week on the vine.

I had two PA Golden #3 Pawpaws over the weekend. This is the less ripe of the two – the other wasn’t so photogenic but tasted excellent. I’d say it’s a strong flavored pawpaw compared to Overleese and a few others I’ve tried – definitely banana custard flavored. But I enjoyed it a lot.

Lots of figs finally.

17 Likes

My Barnisotte figs are dark/blackish colored. I got my tree (cutting) from @hoosierbanana, so I am confident it is true.

1 Like

There seem to be a few different versions floating around. @ross, I think you have the same variety I have – the one from Leon. Any insights you can share?

Here are a few photos of a more properly ripened one from last year.

7 Likes