SMC's 2020 Orcharding Season: A Timeline in Pictures

That would be awesome, thanks!

This is my first year trying it out. My guess is that a lot of them will disappear. But I went with mantises over ladybugs because I figured their lack of wings would help keep them close. Also, I’ve only ever noticed a few mantises in my orchard, but the ones I have see tend to always find one tree to make their own. Last year I had one that I usually saw on the same potted fig, and one that was always on the same in-ground persimmon. So I’m hoping these guys will head their separate ways and establish a bit of “turf” to call their own.

2 Likes

Things mantises like in my yard are bushy plants and low growing trees. They deposit eggs onto my berry canes. They aren’t particularly fond of vegetables unless they are shrubby, viney, or flowering. They also love flower bushes.

They dislike lawnmowers and short vegetables. I rarely see them high up on trees.

Also glad to help you with the strawberries. Not enough people grow this nice variety.

4 Likes

Had a second ooth hatch.

Some from the first batch are still hanging around.

Really enjoying Scarlet strawberries this year. They’re small and too soft to ever be commercially viable. But they have a really distinct bubblegum flavor that’s excellent.

9 Likes

First batch of jam this season: Strawberry/pineberry rhubarb.

I’ve been having good luck trapping lots of squirrels, chipmunks, mice, voles, and raccoons. I was far less excited about dealing with this catch.

A few rainbow stripe cherries that are almost ripe. I got the tree from Arboreum a few years back. It’s apparently a sport of Stella that’s yellow and has a single red stripe along the skin and within the flesh.

Carmine Goumi

I’m still seeing mantises all around the garden and orchard. I think I ended up having a total of five ooths hatch. It was fun to see. I’ll probably end up doing it next year as well.

10 Likes

Those are pretty cherries. How do they taste?

I got the 2nd chipmunk today. Thanks for your suggestion on a trap.

2 Likes

Those mantises are cute. Maybe, I should try them next year,

1 Like

This is my first year getting fruit from the tree. I had a few yesterday that weren’t quite ripe yet. I’ll keep checking on them as the week goes along.

1 Like

Some currants, gooseberries, and raspberries coming in.

Double Gold

Prelude

Glencoe

Yellow Black Raspberry

Champagne Currant

Minaj Currant

Chernaya Lisovenko Black Currant

Belaruskaja Black Currant, the best black currant I grow

Orus-8 Gooseberry/Currant Hybrid

Jewel Gooseberry

Red George Gooseberry

23 Likes

Very nice camera you have. Very clear pics. I don’t have any brambles!!!

2 Likes

Love your photos!

2 Likes

I don’t blame you!

3 Likes

Cascade Gold, probably the best raspberry I’ve had this year.

Josephine

AAC Eden

Netting a peach

Hanging the season’s first batch of garlic

16 Likes

Very nice. What is your favorite among the red raspberries you’re growing?

3 Likes

Josephine is a notch above this year. It’s more intensely sweet than the others are. And the berries are very large too.

3 Likes

My next tree, I will plant it with enough soace to net it against squirrels.

I have not pulled garlics yet. Maybe, I should.

3 Likes

i have cascade gold and acc eden ripping fruit for me for the 1st time. looking forward tasting them.

3 Likes

For the first week of ripening, these were kind of bland and underwhelming. But they’ve been improving over the last few days. Let me know what you think once yours start coming in.

I pulled this batch a little early because of all the rain we’re forecasted to get later in the week. I have one more patch I’ll give a bit longer though.

3 Likes

Gooseberries and currants for jam

Honey Lite Nectarine

Clove Currant – Pretty amazing color on these

Triple Crown – It’s been tough to sledding to get truly ripe berries. We’ve had a very dry summer and the birds get to them as soon as they start changing color.

Colorado Red Star artichoke

Eastern tiger swallowtail

19 Likes

What a bounty!!

Your nectarine ripened already? How did it taste?

4 Likes

It had a bit of insect (or maybe bird) damage on the back side, so I picked it early. The damaged side sweetened up nicely but the rest needed another week or so. I netted the tree and will pick more next weekend.

4 Likes