SMC's 2020 Orcharding Season: A Timeline in Pictures

Nice pictures Steven. I am also growing Colorado Red Star artichokes this year. Mine are very small. I kind of like the way the plants look, I guess you can’t expect that much out of an artichoke grown as an annual. A neat experiment anyway. My kids had never eaten artichoke so they didn’t know what to think.

That is a lot of currants and gooseberries! We have made some excellent jam a few times this season with whatever was ripe and we couldn’t finish fresh: mostly goumis and jostaberries but a few strawberries, raspberries, and and gooseberries.

4 Likes

I think I’m just going to let the one plant I have go to flower this year. I might plant a row of them next year now that I know they’ll fruit here. That would make it worth the effort in processing them.

2 Likes

Starting to get good harvests. Now we just need some rain to keep things going.

Pawpaws sizing up

Eggplant flower

I gave Bordissot Negra Rimada a head start inside this winter/spring. It’s looking like it might be the first to ripen this season.

Third batch of the season. This is blueberry nectarine jam.

19 Likes

Stephen,
I am all green with envy!!!
Dud you hand pollinate your pawpaws?
Mine did not work out. I think my pawpaws flowers esp. Shenandoah were damaged by kate frost. They did not turn brown immediately but all dropped after they started to bloom.

My friend has a mature pawpaw tree with hundreds of flowers. He forgot to hand pollinate this year and got one cluster of fruit

1 Like

I did but still didn’t get much fruit set. I’m not sure why. The spring we had certainly didn’t help though.

I actually saw one in a nearby neighborhood when I was taking a walk this spring. I was surprised because the tree had to be at least 20 years old. That was the first time I’d ever seen a cultivated pawpaw around here.

3 Likes

Have you checked the tree for fruit. recently? I can go help you “pick” :laughing:

2 Likes

Hi your Bordissot Negra Rimada’ Looks like may Panache.

Dave

2 Likes

It does while it’s still immature, then it colors up like this one from last year.

9 Likes

Ok. Thanks.

Dave

2 Likes

This is a very pretty fig! Do you know if it’s any similar in character to the superficially comparable Martinenca Rimada?

1 Like

This is one productive orchard!!

3 Likes

I have both and I’d say they’ve got a similar dark berry flavor profile. BNR seems to ripen a bit earlier than MR though. For rimadas, I’ve also got CdD Rimada, Paratjal Rimada, Tiger Panache, Fiorone Oro (Rosato), Rigato del Salento PB, and Baldufada Rimada. Baldufada Rimada seems to be the earliest ripening so far. Tiger Panache and CdD Rimada seem to be the latest.

4 Likes

Forgot to post an update of Rainbow Stripe cherries once they’d ripened.

15 Likes

Dark Star tomato has been a standout this year. It’s set huge amounts of fruit, they ripen early, and they’ve got that hard-to-describe smoky black tomato taste. It’s a hybrid, which I’m not a big fan of, so I’m thinking of growing out some seeds and seeing if they’re fairly true to type.

Clayton Peaches have been excellent this year. Early and delicious and super peachy.

Jupiter grapes, picked a bit early to beat the birds, but still nice and sweet

Starting to get a good harvest of snake beans. I really like this vegetable, and it’s got a great flower too.

14 Likes

Glad to know that Clayton is early. I am interested on good tasting early peaches.

I am tired of waiting for my PF 24 C and Autumn Star to ripen. They are both late peaches. Should have planned a better harvest schedule.

2 Likes

Their only downside is that they’re fairly small. But that’s okay, you can just eat more of them :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Did a pepper tasting over the weekend. Not everything was equally ripe, but Paradicsom was definitively the best of the bunch: sweet, crisp, dense, and a little fruity. It was just excellent and had the most unique flavor. Good as Gold was probably runner up. The others all tasted about the same.

Starting to get some nuts from the hazelbert seedlings I planted five or six years ago.

Still seeing mantises around from the ooths I hatched in the spring. This guy was at least three inches long.

Unknown Prosciutto. This may end up being the best fig I’ll have all season. It was unexpectedly excellent. It reminded me a lot of Bass’ Favorite, which was probably my best fig last year. Just a really rich, jammy, syrupy-thick fig. Kind of raspberry jam flavored.

Chiappetta is pretty good for a big fig. It has a honey/melon flavor. But it’s nice because it lingers and has more richness than a lot of my other honey figs, which tend to be simple in their sweetness – lacking depth.

Sunflower

12 Likes

That looks great! It kind of resembles some of the CdD figs.
The Chiappetta looks so jammy!
Nice looking figs specially your Bordissot Negra Rimada!

Question where was the source where you get your mantises from? Thanks

2 Likes

I joined a mantis group on Facebook to do that. One of the members there had ooths for sale, and I asked around and people said he was a good source.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll be looking on buying some for next year that’s the reason I ask for. That’s bad for the few that we don’t have Facebook account.

1 Like