Smoky Mountain Limbertwig

I bought this tree a few years ago then moved it two times in my orchard and then I finally got a few apples on the tree this year (6). This one is small to medium size and we will taste test it tonight. The limbs are limber and the fruit looks a lot like the ones online. Ripening according to online publications indicate that it ripens from late August-September. I will probably pick one each week to find out when it ripens at my location.

12 Likes

You never know what you’ll get until you pick and taste you first ripe apple of a new variety. My perception was that it was very good. It appeared to be at a good stage of ripeness. Sweet with a pleasant amount of tartness. It surprised me that it was a very crunchy with just the right amount of juiciness. I have five more on the small tree to test but the first one was very good to me.

19 Likes

Sounds and looks great!

2 Likes

It is nice when a variety taste better than expected.

1 Like

Great looking apple!

How was the disease and pest resistance for you?

1 Like

The fruit were bagged so they had no insect damage. No disease observed.

1 Like

Good to hear, thanks Bill!

I’m sure happy to see your post, even if it’s a year later! I’m in MN but I have a pretty warm microclimate thanks to our urban heat island. We’re moving in a few weeks and I’ll have to start over with new espaliers – I’ve been growing Grime’s Golden, Cox’s Orange, and Black Oxford the past few years. I would love to try growing a limbertwig up here. Smoky Mountain was one of the varieties suggested to me. I have a few questions for you, if you don’t mind?

• How did it taste? I’ve heard this one has a cherry/berry flavour profile.
  • Was Smoky Mountain a tip bearer, spur bearer, or somewhere in between? (I espalier so this is helpful to know, but hard information to find sometimes!)
1 Like

Small sample but it appeared to be more of a tip bearer. I can’t add any more to the taste than posted above. Sweet with a pleasant amount of tartness. It surprised me that it was a very crunchy with just the right amount of juiciness.

2 Likes

Are you moving within the area? We are neighbors (with 25 miles, anyway). Always glad to hear from nearby fruit growers. Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

@northwoodswis4 yep! We’re staying in Saint Paul, just moving across town to a bigger house - we outgrew our bungalow is all. A bit sad to leave my espaliers, though! I hope the new owners treat them well. The Cox’s Orange did amazing this year with the mild winter and dry summer.

@Auburn thanks for the quick reply! I also heard back from the grower this morning with his opinion. I have a feeling I’ll end up planting the Red Royal rather than the Smoky Mountain. I don’t mind a tart apple, but my husband prefers apples on the sweeter side. According to the grower, Red Royal would be sweeter than Smoky Mountain.

1 Like

New owners are not known for appreciating fruit trees or other perennials. Just get used to the idea the espaliers are probably goners, and consider it a bonus if you drive by some day in the future and the plants are still there. Sad but true. I’ve seen it happen too many times.

1 Like

@northwoodswis4 I’m not too worried about it. I enjoyed them but don’t have the same expectations for others.

1 Like