What did you eat today - that you grew?

A potpourri today – Figs (Improved Celeste, LSU Purple, Florea), apples (Centennial, St Edmond’s Pippin, and an unripe cider apple whose name I forget), and pears (Harrow Delight).

8 Likes

Here’s another trial I did this year and quite the amazing little surprise! It’s the all yellow (inside and outside) and amazingly tasty Lemon Drop Watermelon! These 1 pound-ish little gems are deliciously sweet. Two of them previously cracked on me. I have them on the end of the garden that receives a bit too much water. When I started slicing the very thin rind, it popped on me. They’re a keeper. They earned their place for a better spot in the garden next year!

8 Likes

Holy Jesus this is awesome. Thanks!! Very detailed and comprehensive

1 Like

A Cherokee Purple i just sliced and made some BLTs for lunch.

11 Likes

Sugar Twist Pluerry

strong text

12 Likes

Smoky Mountain Limbertwig. Previous post, Smoky Mountain Limbertwig

10 Likes

Charentais Melon and Melon D’Or, I cleaned one melon bed, prepping for winter vegetables now. Charentais is very sweet,I think I did pick it at the right time.

11 Likes

how is the flavor of this and the nadina plum?

1 Like

They’re very good. Especially Nadia very deep sweet or sour. However I really like Sweet Treat Pluerry. I think you should planting Nadia and Sweet Treat KT.

2 Likes

Kaweah peaches are slowly ripening here. Best peach I’ve grown with high sugar (~22 brix) balanced with acid. Thanks @fruitgrower for the recommendation. Late season peaches are the way to go here in the Bay Area. It blooms very late here - made me think it didn’t have enough chill but all the buds opened and formed fruits.

13 Likes

Sweet Treat Pluerry is the fruit smaller than average plum? isnt a plum /cherry? is it self fertile? your tree is very productive! i think no nadine is like more sweet than sour. a little sour skin ok inside sour i cant eat.

1 Like

Nadia tree ripped is excellent flavor. I picked mine in several times, it’s up to what you use them for. Making jam, drink and finally for fresh eating.
Sweet Treat should be needing pollinators. I have 1 big tree 6 years old but heavy trimmed 3 times maybe that why it’s very late for fruiting. However it had about 40 fruits this year. Every year before had less than 10 fruits. Hopefully next year will be full of fruits. No more trimming because they really good. Especially tree ripening. And my second one just planted last fall in backyard next to Nadia, it had about 25 fruits this year. They all very good size and flavor as Pluot to me. The reason I had the second tree because planning removal of the front yard one but now we will keep it.

13 Likes

they dont look too small of a size next to the nadina plums! ill have to think about it. im running out of room. im mostly growing for fresh eating. i dont do jams or jellies.

2 Likes

They’re very good size of fruit. Plant it in your mom property so everyone can enjoy the fruits.
Average 1 fruit = 53 grams

3 Likes

Wow! I bet it tastes amazing…

I will get to try Kaweah this year for the fist time. Unfortunately, probably not until October. It was so cold, for so long this spring that everything is about 2.5 weeks late. I just harvested the last of my Early Redhavens today.

1 Like

Interesting. Things are 1-2 weeks ahead here. While we are having a milder summer, our spring got warmed up quickly (no rain :cry:) which probably sped things up. You’ll love Kaweah if you like balanced sugar+acid flavor.

2 Likes

The 6 varieties of sweet peppers I’m growing this year. From left to right:

Ozark Giant, Yellow Monster, Lesya, Shishito, Jimmy Nardello’s and Ajvarski.

4 Likes

Chojuro Asian pear

15 Likes

Very gorgeous looking Chojuros, Tony! Can you share any tips on growing such flawless beauties?

Are you sure that’s Chojuro? Mine are way darker and much later. Like mid September.