Мягкосемянный Розовый (Soft seeded Pink) Pomegranate

Apparently pomegranates start to bloom late April, and in May. This is the first year that any of our pomegranates bloomed, two varieties. One flower each bush for us so far. Both late April blooms, we should have more on those two bushes this Month.

2 Likes

I think pomegranate bloom dates depend on climate, winter weather, and cultivar. For example my next door neighbor’s plant started blooming in March.

Maybe for you, mine are just leafing out. They will not bloom for some time.

DIng, ding, ding! We have a winner!

1 Like

My error in grammar, I meant in climates that pomegranates can survive in the ground with no protection, zone 7a and warmer.

1 Like

Now that I think about it, there is a variety that can start blooming some years in February, in warmer parts of California, yet that one is an evergreen pomegranate, the one that can start in February.

Mine is a Wonderful. And hopefully it will have enough energy to bloom with it’s current new growth rate. I pruned a month ago and it’s literally put out 10" in every direction. CRAZY!:crazy_face:

1 Like

What species are you referring to?

Was it dormant when you pruned it?

Actually two varieties, I forgot that the owner has two evergreen varieties, that I and someone else thought was one variety in two very different soils, in some ways they are nearly identical, a very confusing mess.

They are called Melgar 1, and Melgar 2. Here is a link about them https://foodplace.info/Bountiful_Figs/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=696&start=24#p6240

Yes, I’m the worst, my wife is always correcting me.
I never seen a pomegranate tree so I was curious about them. Plus I love the fruit a lot. So I’m trying a few and playing with them.
Oh this year a guy on ourfigs was giving away cuttings and he had Myagkosemyannyi Rosovyi, so I’m trying to root a couple cuttings now. He also gave me cuttings to Molla Nepes and Gissarskii Rozovyi. If all take I’ll have extra plants. Gissarskii Rozovyi sounds interesting with lemon or grapefruit or citrus tones to it’s flavor. Some say it is fantastic.

Nice to see a full plant in this thread. Mine can never get that big. Cutting it back and root pruning it may turn into an interesting looking tree. . Well i have to root it first!. I rooted Granada and Parfianka last year. They survived just fine and are now just leafing out.
I also have 3rd leaf plants Al Sirin Nar and Salavatski. They flowered last year very well but dropped all flowers. I think they got too wet. I heard they like to be dry when flowering.
See what happens this year. I have them under an overhang to limit rainfall on them.
I wanted Granada as it is a very early ripening type.

I’m looking for dwarf plants that are good, for container culture. I picked up Hyrdanar X Goulosha which are semi-dwarf plants that only grow 3 to 5 feet tall and have large fruit.Variety was developed for high density plantings.

I also had a chance to get a Ranni so I took it too.
I’m not really interested in trying anymore, I may not keep any? So far I’m enjoying growing them. I would try other dwarfs as long as they have a rich flavor.

Right now the only dwarf I have appears to be a wild variety with black skin, that I grew from seed, supposedly wild pomegranates grow like the parent plant when propagated by seed, an online friend of mine has 4 of them grown from the same seeds, so together we have five of them. They taste like sweet cranberries, yet the fruit is tiny to small in size. I have no idea how rich the fruit is. Mine has not fruited yet due to my inability to up pot it for a long time. Any pomegranate should be able to be dwarfed with root stock, and be kept in a pot, yet I have not experimented with that yet, our dwarf pomegranate would probably make a great dwarfing root stock. Dwarfing root stocks do grow slow, so it will be likely at least 3 years until I could try it.

Our ‘Salavatski’ is finally blooming for the first time in it’s 9th season, a long wait, 4 of those years were because of darn “Shothole borers”. ‘Salavatski’ is supposed to have a great citrus flavor actually, I will find out this year. Ours pomegranates are growing fast, except for the dwarf one.

I should too! It seems the hardest of all of them here.

I think that ‘Salavatski’ is my second most cold hardy if you factor in age, it’s gained cold hardiness over the years, each year it gets more cold hardy, yet one variety that has seen only one real winter since I rooted it, it’s already almost as cold hardy as ‘Salavatski’. Only time can tell.

It doesn’t matter for me that much, none will see the south side of 25F. Parfianka did fine at 25F so did a 6 inch tall Granada. I was afraid it would not make it, but I didn’t want to grow it under lights all winter. It made it along with another Granada at 10 inches.

I try and keep all our potted pomegranate plants out of freezing, because in pots they get damaged much easier than in the ground. I guess you had a mild winter this year, if 25 degrees Fahrenheit was the coldest that had experienced, that is zone 9b.

Do you mean inside?

Yes, in an attached garage. I keep a space heater on a thermostat. It rarely turns on.Being attached the heat of the house leaks in. 2 side walls and the the ceiling have house on the other side.(I have 2 story house). I don’t see a downside as all are hardy to 25F. Where all my figs are kept too, works fantastic! No damage to any of them, poms and figs.

I also have Morus nigra mulberries in there, I have a cultivar from Bulgaria that is extremely cold hardy for a black mulberry. Once bigger I will experiment with in ground plantings of grafted scion unto Russian mulberry rootstock.

1 Like

Plus in a garage that does not leak a lot of air, frost damage is not a huge problem, nowhere near as severe as outdoors at the same temperature.

Yeah if I ever move I’m screwed. the garage allows me to zone push easily. I kick them out early. I tried growing Southern Highbush blueberries that are not hardy here, and they just kept coming out of dormancy early. I tried various methods to stop them, but gave up after 4 winters of trying. But figs, poms, and the mulberries do not come out early.
All were kicked out of the garage on March 15th. Temps went down to 18F outside, but all were fine except for figs less than 6 inches tall, they suffered some damage. 2, 3rd, and 4th leaf figs didn’t even lose breba, perfectly fine. The poms took it fine too. One reason is they were all well hardened off. Exposing them to 25F makes them very dormant, and they can take lower temps easily. Next year I will try and wait till outside temps are above 20F. Although no harm no foul this year.The breba crop is heavy this year. Already getting big! I’m in zone 6a/5b. I like kicking them out early as they emerge from dormancy according to local weather, so no acclimation or anything needed. I don’t have time to baby them. Baby them you have babies, Make them tough it out you got Hell’s Angels!

Valle Negra breba start out dark, these are so good, as good as main crop. This fig will grow to be huge!

All my figs look spectacular this year. I expect a giant crop.

2 Likes

I don’t think about that sort of thing since most of my plants wind up in the ground anyway, here we see anywhere between 3 degrees Fahrenheit to 18 degrees Fahrenheit for each winter’s low, that sure hardens them up, and there will always be a return to the 3 degrees Fahrenheit every so often.

1 Like

They are not evergreen – the author is abusing the word.