Мягкосемянный Розовый (Soft seeded Pink) Pomegranate

I pruned while dormant, and also early spring. Maybe 5-6 weeks ago.

Technically nothing is 100% evergreen, everything looses it’s leaves/needles once it gets cold enough. The countries that such pomegranates come from call them evergreen.

Those types would be facultatively deciduous, if you want to get technical. There’s also a variety from seed on Cedar Key, FL that’s evergreen in this sense.

1 Like

So - upon further review, it seems I have maybe 6-7 blooms that were overlooked after a quick glance.

2 Likes

Look for circular clusters of leaves, those show up as the flowers are forming.

1 Like

Yep, lots of those. I’m starting to see tons of blooms forming now. Of course it won’t hold onto all of them.

2 Likes

I was reading something that made it clear that the male flowers are not the earliest flowers, male flowers look very different than the other flowers too. Yet since I am learning that pomegranate flowers vary from variety to variety I am not going to describe how they look hermaphroditic flower VS male until I have seen the ways that different male flowers can look. Here the only male pomegranate flowers that I have seen showed up late June, early July, only on one variety, that variety started flowering this year late April. so far this year I see nothing on our bushes that look like male flowers to me. Yet some Intermediate flowers can not produce fruit as well.

Based upon what I am seeing with my own plants and based upon what I am reading online, I am thinking that it’s probably way easier to tell the male flowers from the bisexual flower (hermaphroditic flower) than it seems possible.

1 Like

Punica granatum is not purely Monoecious but rather Andromonoecious – have both male and hermaphrodite (bisexual) flowers on the same plant. Here are some slides from Jeff Moersfelder, aka Mr. Pomegranate.

I think that you may have misunderstood me. I know all pomegranate bushes have both male and female flowers on the same plant. Male flowers (just male parts), female flowers which have both (male and female parts), and Intermediate flowers (which has both male and female parts, yet there is something wrong with the flowers)

A flower with both male and female parts is not female, it is hermaphroditic.

Or bisexual, yet so are the fig flowers of the common fig, they get called female too, they are not female anything. I guess I just get used to it. Calling them female.

Are you growing Мягкосемянный Розовый? If not I will be offering cuttings next January.

1 Like

Nope I am not growing it under any name. The fruit looks too different from everything that I am growing for me to be growing it.

Thanks for the offer. Sure I’d be interested, it seems too good of a variety to pass on it. I am starting to reproduce my pomegranates, some of the spares trees and some of my reproductions are going to go to good causes. That would be a great one to give to great causes.

PS:
Thank you.

I have edited my response to Calron to make it less confusing for people. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 Like

So, just got home from a business trip overseas, and looks like the wind and bizarre rains have caused the entire tree/bush to almost collapse under the rain weight. I had to stake and tie it in many places. Hoping she recovers. Would really suck if I had to prune while it’s covered in blooms GRRRRRRR!!!:rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

That happens here a lot with plants in general and they all recover unless the plans have serious breakage.

2 Likes

Hope so. Even when it dried out tonight it was still not looking too upright. Guess when it put out all that new growth I should have pruned it back a bit.

Maybe put out some sawhorses to prop up the branches?

1 Like

Yeah, I have staked it in a couple of places, and tied a few branches to the fence, it seems it may have started to permanently bend. Unfortunately it’s covered in blooms if I have to do any radical reduction.

Notice that if you’d pruned back that growth you wouldn’t have blossoms.

1 Like