Spice Zee Nectaplums

So true!!

1 Like

This is probably my cleanest fruit on my A Glo… They almost seem to be putting some size on…maybe the pit hardening is finally done.

5 Likes

@itheweatherman they’re not cloying sweet are they or is it close? Would you say arctic jay is lacking in sweetness somewhat by itself?

Arctic Jay gets very sweet, and it’s one the sweetest fruit from the Zaigers.

1 Like

I let my Slice Zee carry some fruit this year, and like on so many other pictures of the fruit in this thread, they’re are awful looking. I fail to see how they can even be eatable once mature. I have no idea what causes it.

Looks like thrips. Check out Dealing with thrips

3 Likes

Does anyone here have experience ripening the nectaplums off the tree. We lost a large, fruit laden branch yesterday. I’ve harvested the fruit, and have it it brown paper bags, but was wondering if anyone knows if this will work.

They’ll ripen off the tree if they are within say two weeks of being soft ripe. Prior to that they might improve some but they’ll not get near tree ripe quality.

Thanks! If they aren’t great in two weeks I’ll make some preserves!

I managed to get a SZ Scion graft going.

4 Likes

They’re off patent, I need to find myself a scion next year.:grin:

1 Like

Is the nectar plum as difficult as the Mericrest nectarine? I have Spice z scions to graft this spring and I’m wondering about what it needs for pollination. Is there a possibility it could help cross pollinate my Nectarines?
Dennis
Kent wa

1 Like

Peaches/nectarines are usually self-fertile to the degree that you’re actually fine having only one tree.

2 Likes

Yeah Paul has it right. Self fertile.

1 Like

I think SpiceZee is self fertile, from my experience growing one in a pot (which died in the cold snap) the tree is vigorous. I planted one more on citation last month. It’s proven to be a good choice for PNW, I saw Portland nursery has started to carry them this year.

2 Likes

SpiceZee is very very vigorous. I have Snow Queen nectarine on a semi-dwarfing root-stock and grafted SpiceZee directly to a Snow Queen branch. The SpiceZee is doing its best to take over and is twice the height of the Snow Queen now.

4 Likes

When Is spice zee best grafted? Same as plum or later and warmer like peach grafting?
Dennis
Kent wa

It’s a nectarine. Nothing about it suggests plum. So it treat like a peach.

I have never grown a Nectar plum but I have read that it’s self-pollinating. Most Nectarines are also self-fertile. Or do you want to create hybrids between the two?

As far of Spice Nectaplum’s parentage, it’s only 12.50% plum.

I think the only Plum trait in SpiceZee is the color of the leaf.