Squirrels actually killing plants

…with their incessant digging. I have multiple potted plants on my deck that have actually been uprooted and died (or severely damaged) because squirrels will not stay the f—- out of the pot. I don’t know what to do!

2 Likes

try covering the top of the pots with chicken wire. it doesn’t look great but after you discourage them, you should be able to remove them later.

Well i have never heard of an easier target than that. Gamo air rifle It is the only way.

3 Likes

Wife won’t allow it. They’re “cute.”

3 Likes

I saw chipmunk is doing that in my yard

1 Like

Save your plants…buy her a puppy.

4 Likes

go get the most hyper evil looking cat at the pound . bring it home , let it loose in the yard and barely feed it. :wink:

5 Likes

The one thing I’ve found that both works, and isn’t ridiculous or a pain, to is to put a mulch of 1/2" - 3/4" gravel on top. My nasturtiums are finally growing undisturbed. I’ve done the chicken wire thing to protect seed beds, but it would be hard to do with plants that are already growing.

4 Likes

I have found a good sprinkle of milargonite seems to turn them away. I chose not to use it on my edibles, but for flowers in pots, direct down zinnias, etc. it seems to work.

How about sprinkling some cayenne pepper powder on top of the soil?

1 Like

Can you imagine what a mess we all will be in if squirrels become infected with a new
contagious virus that they can readily spread to humans? Plague, perhaps.

Cayenne pepper worked for about two days. They appear to have gotten used to it.

Then how about castor oil? It is supposed to repel all kinds of digging rodents.

Get a “cute” dog that has game or a good sized cat that has had to work for a living.

I think the DE discourages digging

1 Like

There needs to be something more attractive for them to bother with. Also, remember that at the end of the day it will only be controlling their numbers as the issue will never be completely removed. I have been battling them for several years now since our two dogs passed. Much relaxed with their help. Opposite the street from me is an empty 5 acre lot that serves as their primary source. I manage to keep their numbers down on my property with a steady diet of poison and traps. Keeping things tidy goes a long way, too. The most effective solution will have a dog or three involved. JME.

2 Likes

No advice, just another tale about a wife…

I know of a young couple that bought their dream house, tucked back in the timber.

Husband wanted to lower the Squirrel population but wife threw a fit as they were (wait for it…) cute.

Well time goes on and the Squirrels wound up getting into the ridge vent somehow and began chewing away at the shingles and then there was a rain event.

Major damage to the house and he says the Insurance man says it’s not covered - he’s on the hook for it.

3 Likes

I agree with @jcguarneri . I cover the top with large stones that they cant dig through.

1 Like

So my dog almost caught a squirrel in front of us and I remarked at how the squirrel deserved it to my wife’s cousin. Then she forced me to watch this video which was fun and i thought about you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg

4 Likes

#squirrel launching #squirrel chucker #squirrel catapult #squirrel trebuchet #squirrel spinning #twirl a squirrel #squirrel flinger #squirrel flipping and my personal faves #squirrel zapper! #electrified squirrel
Endless time sink filled of mindnumbing entertainment, indeed. Anyone for a hefty helping of dyschronometria with a side of anterograde disorientata?

Deterrents are fail and catch/release is just an exercise in delusion. Your time. Your resources. Your decision.

2 Likes

squirrel zapper would be quite entertaining! :wink: i can sit there for hours on youtube watching the vids people post on there. have to admire the squirrels tenacity. they absolutely do not give up short of death!

2 Likes