Stark Bro's Sale - (In case you wondered...)

Weatherman: A local u pick has Ida Red. I tried it and thought it was a pretty boring apple but have since read it is one of those that keeps well and is better after some storage. But I haven’t tried it that way.

2 Likes

I was actually curious what they refer to as a “dwarf” rootstock on their apples. I’m guessing maybe B9, but I really don’t know. I ordered 7 the other day that I intend to plant in pots for the season and was curious if anyone knew.

Wish I had known last night.:frowning:

This old GW thread might help some: Stark’s misleading tree sizes & their rootstocks

1 Like

I hadn’t seen that one, thanks

Good article, I’ve never had issues with their trees and I’ve have been using them for over 10 years. One of the Apple Trees I received for someone else last week had a rootstock tag actually connected or wrapped up in the roots… little purple tag… I looked at it and knew it was a rootstock id… just didn’t pay much mind to it. I might ask the guy that picked up the trees if he took it off and what is was… that would be interesting for this discussion. Received two trees in today for $17.95.

They will go into pots until late fall or early spring. I’ve planted tree “Many” from C&O and Van Wells as along with several others… No complaints here.

1 Like

The trees I’ve got from their sale so far have been excellent mail order trees. They are mostly for my trellis, so if they grow too big, it’s my Felco’s and my bad. The selection has been very nice, older varieties and heirlooms. No complaints here, either.

Too much talk of this sale on here , my order for several apple trees is in the works ! :grin:

3 Likes

I went ahead and got a dozen of the apples when I found out the rootstocks.

2 Likes

I’ll will be using my Idared apple for my breeding program. Next year, I will be hybridizing it with my red-flesh apple.

1 Like

Has anyone tried their Starkrimson sweet cherry on the east coast? How did it do?

1 Like

I’ve had one planted for, I think, four years. The tree is surviving just fine. I’ve had no problems at all in that area. By the way, the Starkrimson cherry is their name for Sweetheart cherry.

As for fruit, I can’t tell you how it will do. This winter was too warm here, and I had zero blossoms. Not even the sour cherry, Montmorency, produced enough flowers to set any fruit. Last year a late freeze zapped my cherries. Before that it was too young.

2 Likes

So my Zestar! from starkbros just arrived. it is what stark calls “semi-dwarf” to rootstock looked unusual to me, its really big, thought there may be a chance somebody could recognize what rootstock it is from the pictures, I HATE not knowing the rootstock, but $4.99 was too cheap to pass over

2 Likes

Sean,
I have a feeling we will all be posting pictures of apples from this $5 sale in a couple of years. The trees all looked excellent. It’s to dry to plant trees here but I planted them in an area with underground springs so they should grow fine there.

2 Likes

Think they are leaving the big apple tree sale going so those of us with no fruit tree buying self control buy more trees lol!

1 Like

Got my Winecrisp dwarf. Couldn’t resist, I’m going to grow it for a few years and then graft it o to another tree if I like the flavor. I have no more room, but figured stick it in a small area and grow it enough to get an apple or two out of it and see what the flavor is like.

4 Likes

What sealed it for me was the special rate on the shipping. My 8 apple trees arrived on Sat and were in the ground right away. All nice sized trees although a couple were grafted right at the soil/ root line. I removed a few of the topmost roots on those in an attempt to keep the graft above the soil line when planting.

2 Likes

Yup, I bought 4.99 trees already and they are still there! Need more!

2 Likes

Well, received mine today. Ordered 3 cherries. Opened the box, only 2 were in it. Nothing at all about being backorder, etc. Out of the 2 that i did receive 1 was shriveled from the top ask the way to the roots. Shaving away the bark showed nothing but dark brown. I cut the top and it made a snap like a old dead branch. I trimmed the roots and not a single one had even a spec of green. So I’m going to call that one dead.

The next tree had some pale leafs on it. Cut the top to knee high and was green below. The roots however were a different story. Not 1 extended beyond 2 inches from the rootstock. 3 of them circled at least 3 times of not more upon removing those roots i was left with a ok structure of one good root going down and 3 more i was able to get extending out. Each one of those 3 had to be cut back however due to their circling nature though.

All in all I’m not impressed to say the least. I have a call into them so let’s see if i even get a call back. If i don’t hear anything by noon tomorrow in calling back to raise some hell. Almost $70 after shipping and i get 1 tree that has a CHANCE to make it.

1 Like

What rootstock do you suppose you get from them for a semi dwarf?