Stark Bro's Sale - (In case you wondered...)

Sean2280, I wasn’t going to comment, but I’ve had some terrible luck with Stark trees, all due to their “professional pruning”. This affected 13 trees, and out of those only 8 have lived, and all are still being trained to try and get some shape and laterals in this 3rd year. Today, I picked my first piece of fruit, from a Redhaven tree that spent 2 years in a pot to give it some TLC and get some roots grown, then a year in the ground now and I let it bear 5 small fruit this year. After looking forward to Redhaven peaches, my fruit today makes me 99% sure I have a Nectarine instead. A healthy fruit tree is my goal, and I’d be happy with a Nec, but we shouldn’t receive trees so badly trimmed, especially the root system. Those Stark sale prices are so hard to resist tho, I’ve had an order typed out twice and deleted it,lol. Good luck with yours, let us know how they do!

1 Like

Sean, although what you received had to be a gigantic let down after reading about other people’s delight with their orders, don’t worry. They will replace the trees without giving you any hassle. Your best bet is probably to request that they replace them next spring when they are again available. That’s usually the better option than requesting your money back on discounted trees. They won’t charge you shipping on the replacements.

Also, if the third tree was not received because they ran out of stock, you would not have been charged for it. Just make sure that it didn’t show up as a charge on your invoice.

I can’t remember if it was 15 or 17 trees I got from them last June when it was too hot for them here. Four of them made it through the summer. There were no questions asked when I reported loss, even though I waited until this spring.

1 Like

I saw an apple yesterday for 4.99…can’t remember what it was though…maybe Jonared? It was the only one at that price…must have thousands to unload.

Who knows? Probably M106 for the apples.

I have Jonareds and do enjoy them. The Zestars were 4.99 and I like those a lot.

Really sorry to hear about your order. I’ve had good luck with these folks in the past and very recently. I know they will make it right for you.

Good Luck!

1 Like

Sean, I also feel bad that your results from Starks were so poor. I agree with Muddy, get them next spring as replacements. My trees were very nice and I was satisfied with them. Trees planted three days ago are already pushing leaves.

A gentle note telling of your disappointment asking for replacements in the spring will get you some nice trees, I’m betting!

3 Likes

Oh no issues. Called them up and got fall replacements. They are located about 3 hours south of me so i don’t think I’ll have any issues come the fall. I’m just disappointed of the package i got. The customer service rep even said i should have received everything. They had no clue i didn’t get all three.

Cross our fingers and hope for the best.

1 Like

Last day to ship bare root is Monday. Sale is winding down. I ordered the following apples this time
Jonafree Apple Semi Dwarf
Pristine Apple Semi-Dwarf Supreme
Blondee Apple Semi Dwarf
Cripps Pink Apple Semi-Dwarf
Stark Golden Delicious Apple Semi Dwarf
Stark Jon-A-Red Jonathan Apple Semi Dwarf

Glad the sale is almost over so I don’t buy anymore!

2 Likes

Me, too! I’ve totally avoided looking at their site, even though you guys have been tempting the dickens out of me. I don’t know how much longer I can keep this up. :sweat: :smile:

1 Like

I used self restraint and didn’t buy the gala and Fuji because the price was still a little high. The first apples I ordered were the $4.99 semi dwarf trees. Then I ordered the speciality ones like Granny Smith on the second order. Figure I will graft over any I don’t like. This 3rd order I was just picking out some new patented types and some old favorites.

1 Like

Some great buys, Muddy!:grinning:

2 Likes

You trying to be a trouble maker, Chikn? :grin:

2 Likes

@Chikn @clarkinks You know, I have at least one daughter who could use some apple trees. :wink: That could be an excuse to at least look, eh?

2 Likes

Sounds reasonable.

1 Like

The problem is that bare root trees that arrive here this time of year are more likely than not to die on me in short order. So, ordering a tree now winds up actually ordering it for next spring when I have to request a replacement. Makes me feel a bit guilty ordering something that I know doesn’t have a good chance of surviving.

2 Likes

Enjoy the trees!:laughing:

2 Likes

You are such a bad influence on me! :smile: (Keep it up.)

They seem like good trees even in this 100 degree weather but hey they have a 1 year warranty. Let’s face it they are normally $25+ each so any that we buy are 50-75% + off. I spent the extra money to get semi dwarfs because the soil we have here is not going to be good for dwarfs.

1 Like

I ordered a semi dwarf supreme Pristine that came with a tag on the rootstock. The tag was from Treco and says BUD - 118.

2 Likes