Strange growth on Fuji Apple Tree

This stuff has been on this tree for years and is growing about 60 feet from some other apples. I don’t know what it is and maybe I should cut the tree down. Any ideas for treatment or termination?

Looks like burr knots with wooly aphids amongst the root initials. My trees live with the aphids. And I won’t/don’t worry about the burr knots.

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mPuj-ZJCEg&feature=youtu.be

2 Likes

That was a cool video! Unfortunatly, my tree is almost completly gurdled on a bunch of the main trunk. I’d probably kill it if I tried to remove the burrknots. I may experiment though on some limbs that are not completly covered. Hey, thanks!

I can rest a little easier, thanks!

Yes, burrknots. I have them on several of my trees. I was worried as well when I saw them. Looks like a creature from another planet. Do you know what rootstock it is? Mine seem to be on M111.

John,

I have one mature Fuji, which also gets aerial burr knots pretty badly. I wonder if this is somewhat varietal related?

I doubt there is any xylem or phloem movement where those burr knots are, so there probably wouldn’t be too much downside to remove them, other than the shock to the tree to try to heal the tissue.

Normally, I don’t remove burr knots, but the tree you picture has so many, I might try to remove a few at a time. Never done it before, just speculating.

1 Like

I bought it from a local garden dealer and don’t remember if they had the rootstock labeled.

You may have a point. I worry that the burrs might gurdle the main part and starve it. I don’t know if that’s what’s happening, but I think I am going to cut a few major burrs off and try to relieve it. Thanks

1 Like