Sugar Pearls Apricot

My tree finally has a big enough crop to evaluate and based on its quality this year- BEST APRICOT I’VE EVER TASTED!

I admit to only tasting commercially grown varieties (but tree ripe from my own trees) or seedlings back when I lived in S. CA but my brother in law, who thought he’d tasted the best apricots in the world while living close to the Afghan border for a couple of years declared it the best apricot he ever tasted as well.

One season does not an evaluation make, but I have tasted it from trees in client’s orchards in the past and was already impressed with the floral depth of flavor, juiciness, appealing texture and high sugar of this cot. Orangered and especially Tomcot I’ve eaten so far this season cannot compare.

7 Likes

Good to know. My local nursery started carrying it. How doea it do with late freezes?

1 Like

Probably same as most cots as far as crop, but it seems to be a better survivor than most in my conditions- slightly upstate NY.

Planted one this spring. Looking forward to production.

1 Like

Also planted one this spring. Was hoping the marketing write-ups weren’t all fluff and that it could hold up to some of the hype. Seems like there’s a chance!

1 Like

I had a Sugar Pearls for several years on a sandy sheltered north hillside. Finally the top half died. A year or two later the bottom half died. I tried a Chinese one at our rural orchard, but ag herbicide drift did that one in. I have a couple other varieties, but suspect all is wishful thinking this far north (near St. Paul). I also tried grafting other varieties to a couple. I’m trying a Scout to see how it does. Have seen only a handful of blossoms in all on the trees over about 14 years Getting too old to plant fruit trees now.

1 Like

Alan, my feeling is the same. They are really good and very disease resistant. My tree sets fruit profusely - it does need a polinator. This apricot was a revelation for me. Now I have several white apricot grafts!

2 Likes

What a relief. That was the only Apricot graft that took last year !

2 Likes

I shouldn’t have read that. I have been thinking I’m done getting new varieties and considering getting rid of some that I have. It’s getting to be too much but now maybe I need a Sugar Pear apricot. :smiley:

2 Likes

Would anyone be able to post a picture of the leaves and/or new growth of their Sugar Pearls? Mine died off after planting and has been munched on by rabbits to the point I have a bud coming out from very near the graft. A picture to compare with would really help to make the call if I have a Sugar Pearls or the rootstock!

Andrew, my tree is currently netted for protection, but here are a couple of pics through the net:
New growth:

Older growth:

Hooray! That makes me more confident my growth is Sugar Pearls. Same slightly serrated leaves of the same shape with the reddish branches. Yay! Thank you!

1 Like