Summer 2021 - Show Us Your Fruit!

Harken Peach graft about a week or so away.

Redhaven Peach graft almost ready will pick in a day or two.

14 Likes

I made sure I thinned peaches so I had no time to thin plums :joy:

Early Magic plums last week.

And this week.

They need a few more days of sun. Unfortunately, we will likely have rain tomorrow. I expect more cracking.

15 Likes

i have king david, burgundy, red st. lawrence and liberty grafted onto my 7ft. y. transparent. they all put on 18-24in. of growth. hoping for apples next summer. it set 5 y. transparents last year. but all the grafts i put on stopped it from fruiting this summer. hopefully next year i get a assortment.

1 Like

Naeem! I wondered when you were going to post this summer’s fruit! They are beautiful!
What is Harken peach like? If you share scions this coming winter/spring . . . I’d sure like a few of those. How old is the scion on your tree?
Interesting to note that your Redhaven ripened 2 weeks after mine. None of my scions are established enough to produce yet . . . couple more years?

1 Like

Probably my total peach harvest for the year on a tree that set well over a hundred fruit. Because they were busy with the cicadas, the squirrels didn’t take them all when they were still small and green. But for the first time, black rot has really set in. I wish I had sprayed for it. These are Contender and I have no idea why they are ripening so early, but it may be that most have at least a little bug damage. This might be another good spot for a persimmon instead…

10 Likes

Thanks Karen. Your Harko and Redhavens are looking delicious and yummy . All the hard work and patience paid off.

Actually I do not want to double post , I am posting all my fruits in this thread for quite a some time.

It is a good productive peach will taste in few days. Please message me end of the season or early spring I can send you some and

( My Harko nectarine graft destroyed by cicadas and I doubt it will make through the winter and you can send me few pieces of Harko scions if it is possible. )

My grafts are from 2017 so four year old.

It is very strange this year my peaches are plums are actually early if we look at Adam county Nursery’s harvest calendar. Its all micro climate and sunlight. I let my peaches ripe at the tree.

Picked a whole bunch of blackberries today and fed them to the chickens. I made a short video regarding this experience. These were prime ark freedom.

13 Likes

What plum is it. My experience similar to yours.

Also, tastes for plum varies a lot person to person. My friend came over and, of the ones ripe right now prefers Shiro then Santa Rosa then AU Producer and Nadia which isn’t ripe.

I like AU Producer the best this year. Nadia doesn’t have the cherry twist it did 2 years ago.

I like most J plum as long as it has plum flavor and texture. Especially, the soft and juicy ones. In my area, plum season just started a week or so ago. There many plums are still in the process of ripening. This is a good year for plum but I also got worst PC problem and black knot problem even though I kept up spray schedules.

My neighbors unknown variety produces a very nice and tasty plum. I am growing some of the suckers from this tree to see if they produce similar fruit. His tree is a mature plum and I cannot determine if it was grafted, but I suspect it may be a native as the leaves of all sucker shoots are identical to the parent.
I am grafting some cherry plum onto the older tree to attempt to improve pollination and production of its high quality fruit

11 Likes

Pristine Apple. Small but tasty. Much better after setting a week in the fruit bowl. Nice balance between acidity and sweetness. Not overly complex but a nice early apple.

11 Likes

Red Haven peaches getting closer…

20 Likes

How many sprays you did to have such unblemished fruit?

2 Likes

Believe it or not…zero. The only thing we do…some Japanese beetle traps scattered throughout the orchard. We thin out the damaged stuff…but this year has been cleaner than normal. I don’t think that I saw one stink bug and PC damage was lighter than normal. Most early damage seemed to be from caterpillars (chewing damage)…and not so many “pokes” with sap oozing.

3 Likes

That is fantastic, it was my dream but my dream lasted only 2 years (from fruiting). All the pests and fungal diseases found my trees by year 3

4 Likes

saw a few stink bugs in the strawberries but bug pressure was way down here as well. had some cane borer damage in the cane fruit but not bad enough to warrant a spray. even the cherries have remained clean with little care.

1 Like

Gold dust peach and sweet treat pluerry. The sweet treat will only get sweeter over the next several weeks, very long hang time.

15 Likes

Flavor supreme Pluot, very good. I would say similar to candy heart pluerry, maybe just a touch more tartness in the skin

14 Likes

13 Likes

Looks like I’ll finally get to taste these. Should’ve put on the baffle before they got most of the fruit. Happy that it’s working out so far.

15 Likes