Summer 2021 - Show Us Your Fruit!

I have never bothered with seeds. But early ripen is a very attractive point for short season areas. I have Desertnyi that I hope will fruit in few years.

This apple is a Fall Pippin. I first learned of the variety from my dad. He told me it was the most popular apple sold during the earlier part of the harvest season of my grandparents’ orchard in Indiana County, Pennsylvania.

This apple from our orchard in the Finger Lakes was the only apple to emerge from several blossoms this first year we had any blossoms at all. Dad said Fall Pippins were large, but I didn’t expect this one to get quite so large — no other tree has produced any one larger this season. Since it is called Fall Pippin, I decided to wait until at least the first day of autumn to pick it, and I finally did on the third full day of the season. Haven’t cut into it yet though.

5 Likes

Found this about the ‘different’ strains of Honeycrisp, while looking for other apple descriptions. It’s from Adam’s County Nursery in PA.

Honeycrisp (MN1711 CLTV.)
This popular variety was developed at the University of Minnesota. The fruit is mostly orange-red with a yellow background.This crisp, juicy, sweet-tart apple has a rich flavor that has made it “#1” in taste panels.
The fruit averages 3 inches and up, matures ten days before Red Delicious and stores well. Outstanding winter hardiness gives this variety excellent potential for northern growing regions. Honeycrisp is moderately resistant to apple scab. Tree is non-vigorous and late blooming.

Honeycrisp (MINNB42 CLTV.) PP#26,644
The original Honeycrisp was developed by the University of Minnesota, and this MINNB42 cultivar is their chosen red strain of Honeycrisp. It was discovered as a limb mutation at the research center in Excelsior, MN in 1999 and since then has been placed in replicate trials in MN, NY and south central PA. Fruit color evaluations were done over many seasons, and this selection has consistently produced fruit exhibiting more intense red color than the original. Bloom and harvest times are the same as the original Honeycrisp.

Royal Red Honeycrisp® (LJ-1000 CLTV.) PP#22,244
We’re excited to offer this selection through license agreement with Willow Drive Nursery, Royal Red Honeycrisp ® is a highly colored red strain of Honeycrisp that has the same flavor and eating characteristics as the original Honeycrisp. The tree can be less vigorous than its parent.

2 Likes

Seems like we could have the MINNB42 strain?

Annie - The Nikitski Ranni pomegranate - my first! - was pretty darn good for an unripe pom. I have learned to pull the fruit if it starts to crack, so that disease and insects won’t ‘go to town’ on the opened fruit. It provides a good opportunity to check on the ripening, too.
Looks like I’ll be waiting about another 3 weeks - to a month for optimum ripeness. Hope they don’t ALL crack!

2 Likes

Pomegranate Update!
Found the first pom to fall from the tree, because it was ripe! A Hotuni Zigar.
Very flavorful. Somewhat sweeter than ‘Wonderful’ - but seeds are a little harder.
This one had a little bit of the dreaded ‘rot’ on the interior - but there was enough ‘good stuff’ to make it all right! I really like this one!

After we cut into the Hotuni . . . we went out and pulled a few others.
Parfianka is very mild compared to the Hotuni and Wonderful and Grenadas. Big arils! Mildly sweet. It is a ‘taste test winner’ according to CA reports . . . but not to me. This particular one, anyway . . . just didn’t have a lot of flavor. Maybe others will.

Same for Eversweet. Not much to it. I don’t think that this one was dead ripe. Fruit is odd light color - and arils are almost clear.

Tomorrow night we will cut open a couple more. Sogdiana looks promising - as does Purple Heart.

We are tickled with the small harvest we got from about ⅔ of our trees! Purple Heart has the most fruit - and is by far the tallest tree. It has 20 poms. And none with any disease. Many others just have several that made it through the fungus.

18 Likes

You know, Karen, looking at those beautiful pomegranate, I start to feel jealous

1 Like

York Imperial

Kieffer Pear

Japanese Golden Russet Pear

Golden Delicious Spur Type

Golden Delicious (not sure if this is Mullins or Spur Type)

Hewe’s Crab / Virginia Crab

9 Likes

That does not look like my Kieffer.

Last evening I found a couple that looked like they were starting to get ‘spots’ - so I cut them off. One a Grenada. The other - Afganski.
The Grenada was not quite ripe - but tasted very good. The Afganski - a lot like ‘Wonderful’ . . . maybe smaller arils and a bit tarter?

Both pics are Afghanski. Neither had any interior damage. Yea!

15 Likes

Still getting a few Prime-Ark Freedom primocane berries. The one on the left was in a zip-top sandwich bag, the others were a bit dried out on the ends. Rain was a bit scarce late summer around here…

11 Likes

I didn’t get a single flower off the ones I bought from Ison’s, I think they might not be PAF?

NC1 and Summer Delight Pawpaw.

14 Likes

Tomatoes are all cracking a bit from the week+ of heavy rains after our long dry summer, but their bottoms are still mostly pretty, and the flavor and texture doesn’t seem to be impacted much

9 Likes

Shin Li Asian Pears. Still good harvest after the severe cicada attach and cedar rust.

13 Likes

“Kasandra” hybrid persimmon from Cliff England. The fruit is small and is Chinese astringent type. It is even sweeter than the large Chinese astringent persimmon. No seeds. 35 grams.

14 Likes

1st real crop of lingonberries. The few I got last year were great in pancakes. I will probably try doing a very small batch of sauce

11 Likes

Still getting plums! Amazing hang time. I’ve been picking candy heart for a month and a half. Emerald beaut is so crunchy and delicious, top 3 plum for me for sure. Took the photos today.

17 Likes

Impressive! They are insect and wasp magnets here. Not to mention brown rot.

3 Likes

We harvested our butternut squash over the weekend. I typically grow regular Waltham variety as it gives my wife an ample supply for butternut squash soup well into spring. However, this year I tried Rogosa Violina, an Italian variety from Baker Creek seeds. I was skeptical from the reviews but it really does taste a lot better! The fruit is also much bigger but I averaged only about 1 per vine. That could be attributed to plants being stunted in spring from Grazon herbicide contaminated horse manure I got from a neighbor. Also had polination issues and lots of duds. Anyone growing these able to get more fruit per vine?

Here’s a side by side. Waltham is 3lbs Rogosa is 12lbs!

12 Likes