Summer 2021 - Show Us Your Fruit!

Picked a whole bunch of blackberries today and fed them to the chickens. I made a short video regarding this experience. These were prime ark freedom.

13 Likes

What plum is it. My experience similar to yours.

Also, tastes for plum varies a lot person to person. My friend came over and, of the ones ripe right now prefers Shiro then Santa Rosa then AU Producer and Nadia which isn’t ripe.

I like AU Producer the best this year. Nadia doesn’t have the cherry twist it did 2 years ago.

I like most J plum as long as it has plum flavor and texture. Especially, the soft and juicy ones. In my area, plum season just started a week or so ago. There many plums are still in the process of ripening. This is a good year for plum but I also got worst PC problem and black knot problem even though I kept up spray schedules.

My neighbors unknown variety produces a very nice and tasty plum. I am growing some of the suckers from this tree to see if they produce similar fruit. His tree is a mature plum and I cannot determine if it was grafted, but I suspect it may be a native as the leaves of all sucker shoots are identical to the parent.
I am grafting some cherry plum onto the older tree to attempt to improve pollination and production of its high quality fruit

11 Likes

Pristine Apple. Small but tasty. Much better after setting a week in the fruit bowl. Nice balance between acidity and sweetness. Not overly complex but a nice early apple.

11 Likes

Red Haven peaches getting closer…

20 Likes

How many sprays you did to have such unblemished fruit?

2 Likes

Believe it or not…zero. The only thing we do…some Japanese beetle traps scattered throughout the orchard. We thin out the damaged stuff…but this year has been cleaner than normal. I don’t think that I saw one stink bug and PC damage was lighter than normal. Most early damage seemed to be from caterpillars (chewing damage)…and not so many “pokes” with sap oozing.

3 Likes

That is fantastic, it was my dream but my dream lasted only 2 years (from fruiting). All the pests and fungal diseases found my trees by year 3

4 Likes

saw a few stink bugs in the strawberries but bug pressure was way down here as well. had some cane borer damage in the cane fruit but not bad enough to warrant a spray. even the cherries have remained clean with little care.

1 Like

Gold dust peach and sweet treat pluerry. The sweet treat will only get sweeter over the next several weeks, very long hang time.

15 Likes

Flavor supreme Pluot, very good. I would say similar to candy heart pluerry, maybe just a touch more tartness in the skin

14 Likes

13 Likes

Looks like I’ll finally get to taste these. Should’ve put on the baffle before they got most of the fruit. Happy that it’s working out so far.

15 Likes

Opal is ripe, very early for E plum and honey sweet

Shiro also. The peaches are Reliance on small side

20 Likes

Those looked beautiful.

I did not think my Opal was true to label as the ripening was later and they were not any good. I think I removed the graft.

https://www.orangepippin.com/varieties/plums/opal

Opal in my yard is very reliable producer I am happy with it

Our wild volonteer raspberry is loaded with berries and they are quite big. 2021 is a horrible fruit and garden year so I am very excited about these berries! Since they grow right next to our barn, they are somewhat protected from the rain.

12 Likes

SWD came in with a vengeance this year… A thorough spray of Spinosad and the blackberries are much cleaner now. Triple Crown, PAF, Navaho and perhaps a few others. Just a few Climax blueberries starting to ripen as well.

6 Likes

that has to be a bred cultivar. probably a bird spread it. ive never seen a wild raspberry produce any fruit near as big as that. nice berries! my royalty, acc eden, cascade gold and another unknown variety all are producing for me right now.

1 Like