Summer drinks

I am trying a few ideas for summer drinks now. I am hoping to stumble onto a few refreshing, flavorful combos that I’d like to make all summer. On that note, I’d like to hear from others on their successful (or still experimental) recipes for summer drinks. Here are my last two attempts (non-alcoholic versions)

This is lemon, honey and rosemary. First two are from a friend’s backyard. Quite refreshing on a hot day. I think mint would have been better than rosemary here.

This is lemon verbena, lavender and frozen raspberries. Really nice fruity flavor and aroma. I’ll definitely try this one again

That looks awesome! I have some lemon verbena and have never done anything with it. Tomorrow I will!

I am making elderflower syrup to put in fizzy water. Will update when it’s ready. Elderberry bushes are in bloom all over the place here.

I had made red currant juice in the steam juicer but my kid knocked all of it over… bummer.

I have a few summer drinks that I make for myself and kids

1. We call it a sunrise. Carbonated water (even better with squirt) Cranberry juice cocktail and grapefruit juice
  2. NA Mint Julep. Lime juice, carbonated water, sugar and mint
  3. Kedem kosher grape juice mixed 50/50 with water and lots of ice.

We love making special drinks here.

@Katie_didnt_Z4b nice. Lot of people make teas and use them in cooking. I haven’t tried anything until now. Really nice, mild flavor. I hear a lot about elderflower and its use in drinks/syrups. I guess I don’t have enough chill to grow them :slightly_frowning_face: Really unfortunate on your red currant juice. Hope you make more later in the season. Post some pics when you have ‘em, I’m curious!

@ribs1 I should def try some of your recipes. Fizzy water makes everything better!

You know what works well strangely enough is basil in lemonade

That’s exactly the kind of ideas I wanted to hear. Will try that soon

I always like to have chocolate mint sun tea in the summer, very refreshing and cool feeling. Have not tried red currant tea yet but did made black currants tea which has very nice aroma

I am trying elderberries in zone 9a. My plants are still small, but they have flowered and set fruit, just haven’t held it yet. D

I’d be a bit careful with elderberries given that the flower stalks being poisonous and all. I have a couple of tangled monsters that produced well, but never became a fan of these. I’d eat the fruit, the flowers don’t taste like much. Overall, for the amount of space and sun they occupy, not sure they would be worth it if it weren’t for them acting as a privacy fence.

They grow wild here, I see them by the trails. Along with fennel a good mid ride nibble.

Those look great! I was messing around with my cherries this year and ended up with an incredibly good cherry drink using Mont.morrency cherries- and it doesn’t take many. I take the stems and the pits out and put about 1/2 cup of cherries into a sauce pan with about 3 cups of water. Bring it to a boil for just a few minutes and stir while boiling. This really breaks the cherries down and lets the juice out of the fruit and into the water. I then let it cool a bit, and pour it through a small kitchen strainer. This separates the pulp, skin, etc that remains of the fruit and lets the extracted juice through. Its important to also push the pulp down against the strainer to get all the remaining juices out. You are left with about 2.5 cups of water infused with cherry juice. At this point I must confess that I add a good amount of sugar (probably 4 teaspoons but it isn’t done yet). Healthy people can use no sugar or artificial sugar. I then take this sweet concentrate and pour it into a glass filled with ice. Mine is usually still a little warm so a lot of the ice gets melted. I end up with about 4 cups of drink from my 1/2 cup of cherries. OMG IT IS SOOOOOO good.

This may sound like a lot of work but it isn’t: Just throw some pitted cherries into a pot, boil them a few minutes, strain and mash the liquid out, sweeten (optional), and poor over ice. I make a glass at a time but you could make a pitcher. You can also play with the amount of cherries and make anything from cherry-flavored water using very few cherries, to real “cherry juice” using a lot. Unfortunately Montmorency’s don’t have much color in the juice so the end product isn’t a nice red or pink. If it were for guests I suppose you could color it a bit with something.

I hope someone tries this. Obviously it wasn’t a rocket-science invention here, but I hadn’t seen it before and am thrilled with how it tastes.

Good to know. I see fennels everywhere here (literally, I haven’t seen a trail without it), but I don’t know enough info to spot elderberries. I was reading about it more and it seems that Sambucus Nigra is not poisonous.

Here’s a couple of elderberry pictures. They are non decrepit looking trees. The berries are hard to spot as they are green and when ripe tend to dry out fast. The white blooms are also not very striking and easy to miss.

Today, I tried a simple mix of orange and lemon. Last season, I tried the same with some Thai basil which added a nice licorice flavor. Unfortunately, I didn’t grow any this year

I boil water, add lemon balm, lemon verbena & a dash of honey. Stir, cool off, then add ice. Yum. Its actually good hot too.
Also added different types of mint into my club soda and had minty sparkling water.
Sometimes just add some fresh fruits (squeezed a bit to release the juices) into my glass of club soda.
Had guava juice with Smirnoff last night and that was pretty tasty, but not usually much of an alcohol drinker (empty calories).