Summer Rots?

I am looking to learn:

1. Which apple trees (if any) are resistant to summer Rots? Degree of resistance?
  2. Which apple trees are particularly susceptible and why?
  3. Recommended practices for managing summer Rots?
  4. Other potentially relevant information?

Scott Smith has advised me that much of the information on the subject is geared toward professional growers. I am looking for trees or practices that would be more practical for those of us who do not want to devote our lives to the cause. My particular project is intended to inform those who wish to attract wildlife with fruit that doesn’t need to reach human consumption standards, so the easier the better

1 Like

This old thread covers summer rots pretty good.

3 Likes

I have 3 trees - same age, pruned to open center and getting the same Low-Impact Spray treatment - Cox Orange Pippin, Crimson Crisp, and Honeycrisp. All three trees planted in a row (North-South), so there is no real difference in terms of shade, air movement, etc.

As of today 8/20, Honeycrisp shows a lot of rot, which is started to show beginning of August. I actually picked Honeycrisp today, I’d say 50% of apples have some rot damage. Last year it had some bitter pit, but this year it’s all bitter rot.

Next to Honeycrisp is Crimson Crisp, it shows no rot, just red gorgeous apples. Last year it was picked 10/18, it hangs well on a tree without dropping.

Cox Orange Pippin, further away in a row, shows significant amount of rot, probably similar to Honeycrips.

Honeycrisp 2024 harvest

Rot damage, 5 gal bucket

Thanks!

Thank you. I’ll make a note.

Pixie crunch has shown little to no rot for me. On the other end of the spectrum, McIntosh does nothing but rot.

Thank you I’ll add Pixie Crunch to my growing list of potentially rot resistant apple trees.