Talk about your favorite grapes

I used to eat Kyoho grapes from my childhood. My kids prefer seedless grapes. I searched on website and found NY98.0228.02. grape. It sounds like the perfect grape that I am looking for.
I want to know more about grape varieties here. Could you talk about your favorite grapes?

2 Likes

Hereā€™s mine ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never tried NY98.0228.02 grapes, but to me they sound very similar to Himrod and Marquis seedless grapes. Both are slipskin and have a mild Concord-like flavor but sweeter. From the description of NY98.0228.02, the main difference between it and Himrod/Marquis seems to be the color. Not sure of your exact location but Iā€™m assuming you are in the eastern half of the country. If so, Himrod and Marquis should do well.

1 Like

Himrod is not slipskin.

1 Like

Yeah, I usually get Marquis grapes in the ā€œRainbow Grapeā€ pack sold by Speich Farms in retail stores and I thought they had Marquis and Himrod, but I just checked the pdf and they only mention Marquis. So I guess Iā€™ve never tried Himrod, but I did plant one last year. Hope itā€™s good.

2 Likes

Oh, I love talking grapes. 30+ native to US species, thatā€™s a fun fact. Kinda into seedless table but wowser, for the best flavored are seeded. Here in Snohomish Wa, we have avg. 1800 ā€œgrowing degree daysā€ thatā€™s base 50. So pretty cool season, about 65 deg. mean average in summer peak, thatā€™s 55 at night, 75 in day.
So, limitations and perfection arrive with finding that grape that ā€˜does itā€™ in your climate. Why I grow hundreds of varieties! -simply experimental. State Extension service is a great start. My favorite seedless here? That ripen consistently, and are free of mildew, a most devastating fungus here. 1. Interlaken-best raisins 2. Jupiter-biggest store sized 3. Einset-'bubblegumlike 4. Glenora-complex 5. Reliance-consistently high yield 6. Candice-just sweet, fresh 7. Sweet Shelly-chewy 8. Mars-all sizes on cluster, fun 9. Venus-hitnmiss here excellent sometimes10. Himrod-like Interlaken 11. Delight-giant clusters, small green crunchy fruit, too late most of the time(I grow in greenhouse). My good seeded grapes are Regent, Seigerebe, Madeline Angevine, Niagra. anyone out there want to share some wood of their early ripening favs, Iā€™m in.

3 Likes

Did you try NY 47616 and Marquis?
Last year I successfully grafted three varieties of muscat to my four years oldā€™ muscadine. I grafted two varieties to my establish sunbelt grape last fall, but I am not sure if the shoots will grow this coming spring.
I planted Jupiter and Thuncord this winter, besides five varieties of muscadine. I also have 8 varieties of cuttings in the pots.

1 Like

The best tasting early grapes I have are King of the North and Edelweiss. I think KOTN is very underrated. It hits 20 brix for me and has thinner skins than Concord, but the berries are very small. Edelweiss is also early and very fruity, but I think it blooms earlier than other labrusca type grapes and is therefore more susceptible to frost at bloom time. Early Campbell is also good, but might only be a week or two earlier than Concord. Buffalo is decent. It tastes sweeter than Concord but has less of Concordā€™s ā€œgrapeyā€ flavor. I donā€™t think it has higher brix, just less acid. I like Concord better, but Buffalo is much earlier. I think KOTN, Edelweiss and Buffalo are a solid month earlier than Concord. Side Noteā€”> All of this is based on only three years of experience with these varieties.

Hereā€™s a link to a previous reply of mine that gives a few ripening dates: Table grape ripening order / are Concords worth growing? - #4 by ztom

1 Like

Ah yes, I have Sweet Shelly as NY 47616. Like it very much. Donā€™t have these others. Always wanting to try new ones if theyā€™re early

1 Like

Does NY 47616 have slip skin or non-slip skin? i canā€™t seem to find an answer on google. thank you!

My favorites are the ones that the opossums leave for me.

1 Like

Nice.

Itā€™s midway

I have a wild muscadine on a trellis for near 20 yearsā€¦ love to eat themā€¦ well except for the seeds and thick skin.

Also a seedless concordā€¦ for around 15 yearsā€¦ it is ok, grapes are small but intense flavor. Have to bird protect to get any.

Think my ideal grape would be a muscadine with thin skin and no seeds.

Is there such a thing ?