Taming overgrown interlaken grape. tame or remove?

I planted an interlaken grape about 27 yrs ago. after a couple of years, I totally neglected it. About 6 yrs ago started trying to get it back under control. Did some trimming each year but let it keep more than usual amt of canes as I was trying not to shock it. . doing spur pruning. BUT… HUGE amt of vegetative growth and production has gone down every year. This year there were two bunches of grapes from this monster plant. . Need to tame it as I want to give the canadice and reliance, that have been barely surviving in its shadow, their share of sunshine…space.
I am about ready to just dig it up. Any advice?

2 Likes

Keep 2 main vines and just a few inches of new growth on each main branch every 6" or so and not more than 10’ of main trunk. There will be plenty of grapes that way.

1 Like

Something that overgrown might need a rehab yr. Cut off everything but the main trunk or main and a scaffold in each direction. Then next summer train a few canes to the position you want if cane pruning. If spur pruning just let everything grow. From there it’s train as normal. You lose one yrs fruit but you aren’t getting anything as it is. That will be faster than starting over. If you want another variety start over. If this variety suits you just do the one time clean up.

2 Likes