Tart and Spicy apple choices

I was wondering what are some apple choices that have a tart and spicy taste to them? I have some apple trees planted from the apple tasting choices my family made about 5 years ago. Now that they are starting to produce fruit perhaps my family’s tastes have changed somewhat or they now realize that an all sweet apples tastes mostly like the next sweet apple. I had been wanting some that had more apple taste and not all that sweetness to mask the apple. Now is my chance to get some planted.
I appreciate your suggestions and help finding some.

2 Likes

There are a lot of good options out there. A few off the top of my head:

• GoldRush
  • Wickson
  • Pink Pearl
  • Ashmead’s Kernel
  • Rubinette
  • Pitmaston Pineapple

Some apples that are primarily sweet but have other interesting flavors:

• Sweet 16
  • Freyberg
2 Likes

I have an Ashmead’s Kernel planted, 2017. It will be a few years before I can get any apples from it.
I had looked at the Pitmason Pinapple early on.

Winesap is an obvious tart and spicy apple…been around a long time. I don’t care for it until it’s been in storage for a bit…and some of the tartness has turned to sweet. Spiciness improves too.

1 Like

I always wanted to try the cinnamon spice apple but only got info from people growing it in the south

I grow it here in Eastern Kansas which is Hot and usually humid. It seems to do fine here but, I did not find it to have any exceptional taste and not that of cinnamon. Red Cinnamon apple (very rare) on the other hand taste and smells exactly like cinnamon.

2 Likes

Ashmead’s is very slow to bear but, worth the wait. I got the first few off a 6 year m111. One of the best apples ever

2 Likes

That sounds excellent! and glad i didn’t go for the cinnamon spice which was mainly because i did not know its fireblight resistance.
My ashmeads kernel is only four years old but has not ripened an apple properly but i will give it more time for sure its good to hear it may just be slow to come into its own.

My understanding is Cinnamon Spice is the same as Laxton’s Fortune.

I grafted it last year, but little growth so far.

2 Likes

not spicy but tart and excellent in pies and sauce is yellow transparent. its doesn’t keep long but for processing its one of the best. its a old russian variety that grows all over along fields here. very cold hardy.i find granny smith bland compared to this apple.

@39thparallel do you grow red cinnamon? Wondering if you have experience with it. If so what are your thoughts on taste is it a more baking or eating apple. I wonder what it would do in sauce or pies.

1 Like

I do grow Red Cinnamon. Beautiful deep red apples. The trees bear quickly and are very productive. The apple is singular. Once a people try it, they will want more and be talking about it. I see it as primarily a fresh eating apple. Once cooked, the aroma and taste probably losses it’s novelty as cinnamon is usually added. If they finish well again this year, I will be planting a lot more and grafting over some duds with it.

8 Likes

You only had one apple on that tree this year?

I’ll add Jonathan to the list. Not sure if I’d choose it over some of the other varieties previously listed but I think it pretty much nails the description of a tart and spicy apple that isn’t too sweet. It has a really good cidery flavor.

1 Like

that was from a couple years ago. They won’t be ripe for another 3 weeks or so.

Ok. TY. Let us know what you think about them this year. If you do not mind.
I am trying to find another tree to plant. My family likes tart and spicy apple varieties more than just the sweet ones that seem so popular these days. They just do not like soft and mushy apples.
Great looking apple.

I agree with you about the Jonathan apple. I had three Jonathan apple trees some years back. That was my main apple I used for about 10 years. I guess I’m burnt out on Jonathan apples. I see them at the apple orchard stores and do not even want to pick one up to sample.

1 Like

that looks excellent!