The 39th Parallel Nursery and Orchard!

@jerry

Liked that little harrison cider apple pretty well i had today.

4 Likes

These arkansas blacks are not only productive but the coloring and taste is very good. This is how this apple should be. When grown right like this these will keep until early summer next year.

22 Likes

The two Clarke’s Crab grafts we made from the scion you gave us are doing great. One is on G890 and one is on B118. I really look forward to seeing what these apples are like.

3 Likes

@cottonwood

This is Mike standing with that crabapple that is grown from wild seed. Its a winner! That tree was top worked with it 2 or 3 years ago. I grew out a lot of seedlings to get this gem. The apples grow in clusters like grapes.

17 Likes

I made my first order from 39th Parallel a few weeks ago as soon as I saw images and read about ‘Clarks Crab Apple’. There was no convincing myself not to pick up a scion of it and of course when you look through all of the other varieties offered you end up with a handful more because you know…gotta fill the shipping box as much as you can in one trip.

3 Likes

@clarkinks

That makes me pretty darned happy! I can’t wait until ours are producing (along with the gazillion other fruit trees we’ve planted and grafted).

2 Likes

@cottonwood

You wont have long to wait. Can’t grow apples very well at my location for many reasons and it produced very quickly for me. We have had great reviews from around Kansas since its the first apple to produce in most orchards when an orchard is planted. Think you will like it alot. I never know how things are at a different location but that is a very productive apple in my experience.

3 Likes

Mike, which pear do you carry that is the same as Dripping Honey? Is it Honey Sweet?

3 Likes

Honeysweet is a ‘Vermont Beauty x Roi Charles De Wurtenburg’ hybrid cross, there is absolutely no Asian pear in that cultivar. People do like to say that Dripping Honey ‘is Honey sweet’, as in ‘sweet as honey’.

2 Likes

Mike, can you say if this grafts onto apple, pear or both?

3 Likes

Shuimitao asked Mike the above question… I don’t see any “honey pear” on Mike’s list of trees or scion. I’m sure he’ll answer when he gets time.
Thanks for the info on Honeysweet! I do have one of those I field grafted about 4 years ago but have yet to get it to fruit.

1 Like

“Honey Asian” is Dripping Honey. I have trees for sale but need to add it to Scion list.

Honeysweet Is a European pear

8 Likes

I have mature trees on M111. Grafted some on OHXF 333 this Spring as an Experiment. So far they are doing well on pear rootstock but it can take a few years before you can judge compatibility.

6 Likes

Great looking apples on that tree.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ve place an order for scionwood.

Having grown and tasted it can you offer your opinion on whether you think it is actually a hybrid of pear and apple?

2 Likes

Are you referring to Drippin Honey/Honey Asian? Yes it definitely tastes like a pear with apple texture and mild acidity. It’s delicious! I’m ordering more tree

2 Likes

I do believe it’s a cross. It predominantly apple and looks like an apple until examined closely. it has a think stem. The Sepals look different and it has resetting on the bottom. For the first few years I did not take note as it always dropped before it was ripe. Then, I finally realized it needs to ripen in storage like many pears. It takes on a yellowish hew in storage. I will try to post pictures later. I’m looking into it’s origins. Will report back if I come up with any additional info.

8 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

@39thparallel @BlossomBreeder

The flavor is very good. Enjoyed them alot this year.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification!
How do you think Honey Asian would do on OHxF97 rootstock?

1 Like