The 39th Parallel Nursery and Orchard!

That’s what I have been grafting Asian pears to. I know they would do great. Asian pear are somewhat naturally dwarfing because of there heavy bearing so I use a higher vigor rootstock. In heavy, dry soil 97 is probably the best option. In good soil, an Asian pear on 97 could grow quite large. I will probably drop down to OHxF 87 for Asian pears sold in the nursery as a catch all. In my river bottom soil OHxF 333 will still push an Asian pear to an Ideal 10’ tree.

4 Likes

Great! If you end up with Asian Honey scion available, I’ll graft some to my OHxF97 rootstock this spring. It’s planted on the upland in heavy clay soil. Rootstock is growing well, it just needs to be grafted to something useful. I already have Korean Giant, Charles Harris, Nijiseiki, and Shinseiki trees. Asian Honey is the last Asian pear I’d like to try.

2 Likes

do you ship honey sweet bare root tree? or only local pick up?

3 Likes

I do ship trees. I have avoided shipping trees to Washington State because I believe they have additional restrictions on plants imported into the state. I need to call the WA dept. of ag to clarify the issue.

3 Likes

I’ve been working on an updated database for the National Plant Board and happen to have the regulations for Washington State:

washington.pdf (629.8 KB)

7 Likes

@Richard

Think @39thparallel will like that. He offers alot now https://39thparallel.com/ maybe washington state wont miss out on it now thanks to you.

3 Likes

Old thread/post I know.

Any chance the Apple Pear cross you have is the same as the Pear Apple Hybrid Temperate Orchard Conservancy offers?

3 Likes

They don’t have any photos or descriptions so it’s hard to say

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply. It seems like I’ll run out of room for varieties before I run out of desire to grow varieties :slight_smile:

I did get a stick of your Apple Pear cross last spring and grafted it high on a wild crab. We’ll find out if it’s central MN winter hardy sooner or later.

2 Likes

I think most all of us have that same problem, don’t we? I always say " okay that’s the last tree." THEN, a few days later. " Okay, maybe just one more. I can move one tree over and put another close to it. There should be enough room.
We have issues. :rofl:

10 Likes

I remove the least desirable tree and plant the new arrival. Many trees in my yard are there on a trial basis.

11 Likes

“probation period” to be determined.

3 Likes

Or relegate them to a holding spot. Mine have been banished to another part of the yard before I decide on termination–I’m too softhearted to rip them out. I did bring Hubbardston non such back into the fold after removing a tree. Glad I did. The apples were really good.

My Virginia gold and mutsu are still in the conduct disorder spot due to terrible scab and car response.

3 Likes

That’s the reason I have nursery/tree pots…don’t have nearly enough planting spots available. Not ideal for fruit…but it’s certainly an option.

3 Likes

No room in my yard for such a thing.

1 Like

@39thparallel Is Red Cinnamon the same thing as Cinnamon Spice? When does it ripen?

2 Likes

I grow both and they are different. Red Cinnamon comes from Finland (Kaneliomena?) I think it may have originated from Russia. It ripens Mid September here.

7 Likes

There is also a Yellow Cinnamon apple I would love to have. https://youtu.be/yGvk95tcdd4?si=cJ3LxFnc3OCypoIt

5 Likes

@39thparallel

Thats a truly delicious apple most years at your farm! I wonder if there was once someone specifically breeding these and if so who it was and what results they had? Yellow Cinnamon sounds great!

2 Likes

Great sounding Cinnamon varieties to choose from.

2 Likes