The best Asian Pears

@tonyOmahaz5 do you like Yali? I planted a Yali and Tsu li 4 years ago. No fruit yet but I read less than encouraging descriptions of their taste online after planting.

I like my Yali very much so. They are very crunchy, juicy, not overly sweet, and very nice looking fruits with a long storage life in the frig. The fruits need to turn light yellow before harvest. Tsu Li has very large size fruits but they are mildly sweet. My most sought after Asian pear is Fragrant pear. I got a few grafts of seedlings Frangrant pear from Scott and they have not fruited yet and I am not sure if they turn out to be as close to the store bought Fragrant pear.

Tony

3 Likes

My 20th Century, Hosui, Kosui, Shinseiki and Drippin’ Honey, sem to ripen about the same time.

Raccoons and squirrels ate most of them.
Here are 20th Century, Hosui and Kosui. Hosui and Kosui look about the same. I would not be able to tell a difference.

Taste-wise this year so far. Hosui and, Shinseiki are in the lead. Drippin Honey, Kosui and 20th are about the same.

Korean Giant has not ripened yet. It’s Oct pears.

If your want to stretch a season, definitely keep KG in the mix. The rest, you can choose anyone you prefer for earlier A pear.

12 Likes

Very nice looking pears @mamuang. Great mix of excellent types of Asian pears! I’m looking forward to tasting ya Li and Charles Harris in the next few years.

1 Like

An Asian pear called Charles Harris. That’s something :grin:

2 Likes

We will see how it tastes lol! Let me know if you need scionwood it’s a rare one http://www.growingfruit.org/t/anyone-else-trying-charles-harris-asian-pear/10118

I’ll wait for your taste report first :grin: Thanks a bunch.

2 Likes

We’ve had about 14 days above 90 this year, which is a lot for us. My Shinseiki and Nijisseiki have been just about perfect. They are a little small since I didn’t thin enough but taste great and I’ve been eating a few every day for a few weeks. I’d say Nijisseiki was 7-10 days later than Shinseiki. Yongi ripened with Shinseiki, maybe a few days earlier. I still haven’t tried Olympic yet, I’ll have to get some scion wood this year. I was initially afraid it wouldn’t ripen in my location, but I might as well give it a shot.

1 Like

Remind me in the winter. I have scionwood of KG for you.

1 Like

Wish I could sell trees for $70 ea. They have a special buy 10 for $500 lol.

1 Like

This was the first year I picked KG aka Olympic very late. Usually, I pick them around mid Oct. This year, I’ve been very busy. Some had dropped here and there for the past few weeks. I picked the remaining today. It was weird picking pears with almost no leaves on the tree.

24 Likes

They look nice! I’m debating whether or not to transplant my Drippin Honey tree or not. It has been in the ground about 4 or 5 years, but is barely over 1" diameter. It was originally a dwarf Starking Delicious but the deer ate it back to the ground two years in a row. Then I grafted Drippin Honey on it, and it grew about 4 ft last year. I have two other Asian Pear trees doing well, so I might go ahead and move it since it is too close to my Redhaven peach

I’ve found Drippin Honey cracked a lot in our wet summer. KG hardly cracks by comparison.

2 Likes

Mam, they are beautiful. I hope Charlie is up to making buckets of ‘holiday fruitcake with apples! Well done, they are incredible!

1 Like

pictures like this keep me motivated to keep trying to improve, hoping one day I can have a tree that looks like that.

Great job.

1 Like

Drippin Honey cracks badly if it rains as they ripen in July or August. Typically those are very dry months in Kansas. DH flavor is excellent. Korean Giant is very good for the reasons you mentioned in Kansas as well. Korean Giant Is a good pear in most locations. I don’t want anyone to think Drippin Honey is bad Drippin' Honey Asian Pear

Thank you, Jim and Mrs. G.

Jim - Glad the pics are inspiring. Asian pears are easy to grow for me (for now). I don’t even bag them. Too many to bag!!!

@mrsg47 - I can’t find dessert recipes for Asian pears. I don’t know what to do with them but eating fresh.

@clarkinks and @ILParadiseFarm - Taste is subjective as we know. Climate and soil has a lot to do with taste, too.

I’ve not had a chance to eat any good Drippin Honey as most of them cracked. The ones that survived were not impressive so far but this was only a second year. I need a couple more years to find out.

How old is that KG tree?

I would cook them like a hard Bosc pear and poach them in red wine with sugar and thinly sliced orange peel, You will have core them and peel them before poaching. When taken out of the oven, cool to room temp and stuff them with almond cream. Sooo good.

2 Likes

10 years?

It is productive from year 3 in ground. I have kept it at 8-9 ft. If I had let it grow, the yield would be a lot more but I’d not be abke to pick many of those pears .

2 Likes