The Maine Potato Lady

I planted a few Constance and Sifra this year. Has anyone tried these?

If I could double like your picture, I would.

I’ve only tried growing in a container once during the winter, indoors in front of a South facing window. It didn’t work all that well. I don’t remember the specifics, but I think the plant got decently big, just without much in the way of production.

I see from earlier in this topic that @SMC_zone6 grew them in containers. Maybe he has more insight into your question.

1 Like

not bob, but I can answer this. my preferred way to grow potatoes is in the grow bags. 5 to 8 gallon bags works nicely and since the potatoes are harvested before peak of the summer there is no risk of drying out. Sometimes, I sow them again in July for an October harvest. Unlike sweet potatoes, potatoes don’t need heat but 5-6 hrs of sun, yes.

3 Likes

When I lived in the concrete jungle 4 years ago I tossed 3 taters in I a 25g smart pot and was pretty happy with the results. We did a bunch of experimenting and these were just whole russet potatoes from Walmart bag. Very good and quite the yield.

1 Like

I’ve grown them in fabric pots for a few years now. This past year I pretty much forgot about them in a shaded area behind a persimmon and a peach tree. They still produced fairly well.

2 Likes

I have plenty of heat up to 104F in July and Aug. but no sun til 2pm. Didn’t work at all for me last year; thought I was doing somethings wrong. Can I grow sweet potatoes? What do you think? Thanks, MrsG

Thanks Bob!

Thank you Steven! Fertilizer?

1 Like

Yes. Some fish fertilizer and some osmocote early on. But I’m not sure that was necessary since I was growing them in pure compost and grass clippings. I just always worry about nutrients draining out of fabric bags after a heavy rain.

I agree ( have put my fabric bags in saucers

Try planting a 90 day variety in June, let it grow until your first frost. My wife plants ornamental sweet potato vines in pots with sub-optimal sun exposure. When she replaces them in late fall to plant hellebore etc. we find a couple fist sized tubers. So why not give it a try.

Where are you guys ordering fancy potatoes starts from?

I had tons of tuber of sweet potatoes from ornamental vines in RI. But in France it might be different. Its so hard to try things that don’t grow here.

If you can grow peaches, I am sure you can grow sweet potatoes with decent harvest. To obtain a crop from early varieties (90 day) they need 1200 heat units and 4-5 hrs of sunlight.

1 Like

Thank you, I can do that!

I don’t normally recommend Georgia Jet sweet potato, but if your season won’t allow others to grow, it might be a good choice.

I hope i can find it in France. Thanks

I grew sweet potatoes in a window one time during the winter.

They were nicely ornamental and flowered well.

I moved them outside in the spring, but they didn’t take the transplant well. Even though the plant had gotten pretty large, mostly filling the window by the end, there wasn’t that much in the way of harvest.

I’m not sure what kind it was. I think it may have just been a purple variety from the grocery store.

1 Like

Thanks Bob! Very pretty though.