The most disappointing fruit you grow?

I wrote on September 13 about some disappointments. Another, even stranger one came my way soon after that day. I had ordered one apple tree and got another by mistake. I had hoped it might prove to be Twenty Ounce, although the literature didn’t quite match in all ways. Sent samples to experts (thank you Joanie Cooper and Temperate Orchard Society) and they gently let me down with their assessment: Honeycrisp.

There are people who would do the happy dance to learn that they had their very own Honeycrisp tree!

I did not.

With very different goals driving choices of what I grow, I am at least glad for the experience of tending it for several years. Easily stunted growth; sugar transfer from outer leaves impaired or blocked, bitter pit in fruit; open pit mining of fruit by earwigs: these are difficulties faced in growing it.
Discreet flavor when fresh from the tree, keeps texture in a pie: these are two matters of merit.

Che. I really thought this was the year.
Razzmatazz grape - This muscadine is too late for my season I think.

Wait until you eat che. You will be even more disappointed.

4 Likes

My Methley plum. It taste great fully ripe, but they’re so small. This is the first year it has fruited for me so it was quite a surprise.

Pears

It takes them forever to bloom, then when they do bloom they don’t fruit

If they fruit, it’s impossible to tell when they’re ripe, and when they’re ripe, they rot from the inside

Pears are just a waste of space

3 Likes

@ltilton
Pears take some practice and hard work but they are worth it in the long run!

8 Likes

Too long. I’m running out of time.

2 Likes

Lois, our orchards must be so different. Pears are the easiest thing I grow and the most reliable fruit Ive had until this year.

2 Likes

My Tennousi has pears its second year in ground. I need to figure out when to pick the suckers.

Like @speedster1 said, pears are easy in my orchard. Asian is even easier because it is easier to tell when it ripens and it does not need cold storage.

I don’t know if Harrow Sweet can grow in your zone, fruit in year two, definitely in year 3. Can be eaten right off the tree or keep on a counter for a few days. No need for cold storage.

I would say, if your area is not fire blight country, HS is a pear for beginner, minimal wait time, easy care and taste really good.

1 Like

Im still waiting for my Che to stop disappointing me by dropping its fruit (dime to nickel sized) evwry year.

My tree is 15+ feet tall with a trunk diameter of 3 inches

Scott

Not sure what happened to your Che tree. My two Che that I bark grafted and potted them up fruited the same year. I swapped the scions from Strudeldog and He got his Che from Edible lanscaping eat-it.com. My two potted che are loaded again this year.

Tony

1 Like

Mine is from Edibke Landscaping as well. Its easily 10 years old.

Scott

Interesting. Maybe the pots restricted the growth and hold on to the fruits.

Hey this is a great thread…let’s get this one going again!

2 Likes

Mine is European plum.
Stanley:flowered with no plums for several yeas, died the next year after producing first handful of plums
Green Gage: for 8 years never flowered more than 2-3 flowers. Never fruited. Removed.
Mt. Royal: flowers very shy, produces even more so. This year whole large tree had probably 200 flowers. I can see may be 20 fruit set. And this is a tree with 6 inches trunk. We even removed last large fir tree we had (not a close by) so it can get couple more hours of sun - no effect. It is also an aphids magnet.

3 Likes

Fig varieties vary a great deal on productivity in my narrow experience. I’ve settled on one that bears with great productivity every year there isn’t excess rain during ripening. It was brought to NY from Italy and I received my cutting from a friend without being attached to a name. 1 in 4 years here in SE NY we get rain at the wrong time and the splitting you mention. It also happens to cherries and to a lesser degree, nectarines and plums. An eastern exposure and earliest morning sun always helps.

2 Likes

My problems seem to be more with vegetables than fruit. Zucchini get vine borers so bad that I can’t keep them alive long enough to produce even with spraying Sevin on them. Watermelon only get about to baseball or softball size then stop growing. Rhubarb sends maybe a leaf or two above ground then die. I’ve tried Canadian red and Stark crimson.

3 Likes

Honeycrisp apple has barely bloomed in 5 years, but it sounds like it takes a long time to come into production, plus its really too warm here.

Santa Rosa plum - great tasting plum, but it really is a shy bearer. I have to manually pollinate.

Please don’t berate figs, one of the oldest and most revered fruits in human history. When grown in their proper environment, figs are delicious.

1 Like