The most disappointing fruit you grow?

That would be awesome, thanks. Oh I did get June Pride to take at last, still small. I had other high hopes, but lost a tree with numerous grafts, oh well. Another tree suffered a lot and just didn’t take to being grafted. Wet feet, we had flooding, first time ever! The tree made it though, but it’s weak. I didn’t graft on it this year.

1 Like

Great news on the June pride! Sorry to hear about the flooding, that will almost always kill a tree. You have a huge fig collection, very nice!

1 Like

I do need to trim the herd! . It’s hard but some have to go every year. Trying to keep what works best here. And a few just for kicks. Your fruit collection is very impressive with some excellent quality fruit! Every time you post something want it! I’m playing around with fruit trying to find what works, what excites my taste buds. It’s been a blast so far. You’re good photographer too. I love photography although I like to find art in nature and try to capture it.How I like to relax. I wish I had better equipment though. Soon I hope to upgrade.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better, and your pics are worth a thousand words!!!

1 Like

Without spraying the only way they work here is to harvest them all. Regardless of SWD. If you let them finish their life cycle, it’s over. The numbers become too much.
I have two baskets when picking. One for SWD fruits, the other for non infected.

3 Likes

I can understand not enjoying the texture of figs. Some people don’t like how soft they are. That’s fine, but I feel bad for those people, haha. Personally, I think it’s like eating jam atop the best toast nature could have created, the skin.
The flavor is often weak when from specific varieties, on young trees, in climates with too much humidity and not enough heat during ripening and in soils with too much moisture. Additionally, if you never pick the fruit properly, it’ll be like eating a store bought fig. 90% of commercial figs from CA are really low quality and it would be an accurate assessment to rate them as a disappointing fruit.

8 Likes

Would you mind sharing a picture of your blueberry cage system? Do you put anything under the raised beds so that the added soils ph isn’t altered by the soil already present?

Honestly, apples are pretty disappointing. There are just too many pests here.

4 Likes

Jujubes are horribly disappointing. They’re so easy to grow but the flavor bland and texture is repulsive. Not to mention the thicket of thorny suckers they throw up everywhere.

2 Likes

Ground cherry. They’re amazing plants and pump out “cherries” like crazy but to me they taste sweet mixed with an off tomato flavor. If I want really sweet tomatoes than I’ll grow sweet tomato varieties. It’s cousin, golden berry (physalis peruviana) is much fruitier and better tasting.

1 Like

Phoenix Tears Goji Berry. Anyway to make them taste good? They taste to me like somewhere between soap and underripe bell peppers.

5 Likes

Jujube flavor should not be bland, the texture should be crisp, and the sugar levels should be almost twice anything else you grow.
I am not sure why you would have problems in 8b unless you have cool summers.

Central Texas is anything but cool. Everyone I know who has grown Jujube has the same opinion of them.

1 Like

I had my first Honey Jar jujube this summer - I echo your thoughts. It was sweet tasting, but generally bland. The texture was crisp, yet grainy. I’m underwhelmed. First year, so I’m hopeful that they’ll taste better as the years go on, but I’m with you as of right now.

(Growing them in dry conditions with long, hot summers, so it should be ideal climate.)

2 Likes

I know literally hundreds of people who grow jujubes and they all have the opposite opinion.

The most likely problem you are having in central Texas is inadequate water. Jujube trees will stay alive with very little water, but they won’t produce good sweet crisp fruit without a lot of water. We have members of this group growing jujubes in central Texas and they are producing high quality fruit.

This is what good jujube fruit looks like, and it’s all very crisp and very sweet.

6 Likes

Crisp like polystyrene. :slight_smile: Honey Jar is slightly better than Li, Lang, or Contorted, but the small size makes harvest not worthwhile.

1 Like

When your fruit is like polystyrene, it needs more water. You don’t get good fruit without giving your trees adequate water.

Lingonberries, apricots, tree cherries, peaches, pecans have been a total waste of money and effort after many years of trying—no fruit to show for any of it. Plums haven’t produced much, either. Most successful have been strawberries, pears, apples, bush cherries, honeyberries. Raspberries, currants, blueberries, rhubarb have been variable. Tastewise, the black currants are pretty sad, except in mixed jam. Space is not an issue, so I haven’t removed any living trees or bushes.

1 Like

Probably passion fruit, I bought 2 vines from Costco, grew like crazy, I don’t eat this fruit that often, I did pick some for my sister, but then I got fed up with the sprawling vines, I ripped them out. Now I grow my roses in this space. It’s in the shade too.

My jujube barely grew at all and then died. Hung around for 3 or 4 years wasting a space.